Total Noob! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by MikeTay10, Oct 20, 2014.

1. MikeTay10

MikeTay10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, new to the forum and new to the world of compound bows and bowhunting!

Just ordered my first compound bow from ****'s-sporting goods and need some advice before it shows up at my door.

My Bow: Diamond Infinite Edge

Through a promotion it came with 6 Carbon Express Heart Attack Arrows, size: 350 (Which I'm not even sure what that number references)

And I ordered a Tru-Fire Hurricane Glove release.

Want to start target shooting in my backyard and I'm not even sure what to order for field tips/arrows. I'm a totally clueless and need some help in the right direction. I have a couple buddies from work that shoot bows and I figure with your help and theirs I can get on the right track to start shooting!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. MTNDWLLR

MTNDWLLR Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sure how much I can help you because I am fairly new to archery myself. I had a bow years ago, but have recently got back into it. I would read the link I posted below about arrows to help you understand what the 350 means, it is kind of a lot to explain. As far as what else you will need to be ready to shoot you already have a bow, arrows, and a release. I would say you will need a target and some tips at a minimum. You should get your arrows cut to the proper length for your draw which can affect what grain tips you should buy. I would probably suggest field tips for practice, but some targets do accept broad heads. If you havent shot before you may want to find somewhere other than your back yard for your first time. But I don't know how much room you have and how close your neighbors are. I shoot mine in my backyard, but I put it in the alley behind my house where all my neighbors yards are shielded by ditches and privacy fence. I hope this is of some help to you. Here is the link

Carbon Arrow University - Basics & Measurement Standards

3. chrispret

chrispret Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It depends a lot on your draw length and the weight you shoot at.

The 350 refers to the arrow's stiffness. The lower the number the stiffer the arrow (i.e. the harder it is to bend) and the higher poundage it is usually suitable for.

The 350 Carbon Express arrows are likely too stiff, unless you're shooting 65-70# at 30" draw length. Sure, when you start shooting they will work but if the arrows are too stiff they will not fly consistently. You most likely should be shooting 400s, or even 450/500.

If you're keeping the arrows and not pulling 65-70# at 30", get 125 grain field tips. Heavier field tips will help a little to weaken your arrow's dynamic spine, but you should really be shooting the right arrow.

Bass pro sells Blackout Envy X5 arrows that are relatively cheap and are decent quality. For an extra $50 you can shoot the right arrows and not develop bad habits from trying to deal with odd arrow behaviour.

4. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't' grip, torque, twist, punch the trigger or rush the shot.
    Those are all the bad things that I do.

RC

5. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    There is some good videos on you tube on how to shoot a bow, and how to start out hunting. Also use the search at the top of the page to look up different questions you might have. A lot of it has already been talked about, but we" as in the good folks here on this site" will always help a Guy out on getting there bow set up correctly.

Beefie