Need advice. I'm new to bow hunting....

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by wingz4life2788, Oct 13, 2014.

1. wingz4life2788

wingz4life2788 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't bow hunt often, but have been getting more into archery. I can't seem to have any deer come buy when I am sitting in a stand.

How big / long of openings / shooing lanes do you topically look for? I am afraid I might be setting up in areas with to small of view. Should I go on edge of fields? I am mainly hunting public land with hilly dense vegetation. Mark twain national forest and fort Leonard wood Missouri.

2. wingz4life2788

wingz4life2788 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG] over shoulder view
    [​IMG] front / longest shooing lane

I gravitated to this spot because of openness and pond to the rear. It has acorns all over signs of past hunters (beer cans), but not much tracks or scrapes / rubs. What you think? Do I stick with it or move on? I have not seen anything in 3-4 outings and only spooked one going in.

3. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say if there isn't much for deer sign there I would move. The spot itself looks nice theoretically, but if deer aren't traveling through there it is unlikely one will wonder by when you're on stand. My first deer on public land was a doe. I set up on a heavily used trail from a feeding area(corn field) to a bedding area. If you can find a good trail in between to areas that deer would typically be I would set up there. Also, look at a few maps and try to find locations that would make for good bedding/ feeding areas. You would have to check and see if there is sign. If there is I would probably set up there.

4. devrieshunter

devrieshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I would check around to see if there are people with private land you can hunt. Public land is a real pain to hunt because there are so many more people out there. Deer like being undisturbed. So check with people from work, school, church, whatever it may be. You could put up an ad in the local grocery store if you really wanted with your number. I only recommend this because I've never heard many success stories from people who hunt public, and I never do.

5. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are plenty of deer around Fort Wood, you just got to know where to find em. Look for the nearest persimmon tree.:)

6. Ram170

Ram170 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If I could give alittle advise it would be study the terrain features, Bowhunting is like fishing the deer like the fish relate to the structure of the terrain, pinch points,heavy cover and anything that would affect its ability to move through an area and feel secure.

7. wingz4life2788

wingz4life2788 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't seen any persimmon trees. I have seen a few deer lately walking around scouting, no luck when sitting yet. I have found little red berries not sure what they are and acorns everywhere.