Eye Dominance

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by CDBfan13, Oct 5, 2014.

1. CDBfan13

CDBfan13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New Providence, Pennsylvania, United States
    Hey y'all. I don't own a bow yet, and while researching beginner bows I realized that although I am right handed, I am left eye dominant. The article I was reading (from the Mission Archery website) said that you always choose a bow based on your eye dominance. I am left eye dominant, but it seems very unnatural to shoot a bow left handed. Is this just something that I would eventually get used to? Do some people train themselves to be dominant in the eye they aren't initially dominant in? Thanks!

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to be left eye dominant but always shot right handed. The only time it was a problem is when I shot without a peep sight. I would suggest going to a shop and trying out a few bows and see how big of a difference it makes for you.

3. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am right-handed, but left eye dominant...but it has always felt natural to me to shoot a bow left-handed. Not sure why, since I shoot guns and do most everything else right-handed.

4. Jenkos

Jenkos Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I'm exactly the same as you, if your using a peep, close or squint your left eye as you aim, and the eye dominance will naturally change over as long as your the left eye is still closed. I've been shooting a right hand bow no worries.

5. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot right handed both eyes open and I'm left eye dominate. It was very hard at first to get your eye to focus but to help i have a peep sight, and when I started out trying to shoot both eyes open I would start with my left eye closed and open it and just keep focusing on the pin placement with my right eye. It's whatever feels comfortable to you though I would go and test some bows first though

6. mike387

mike387 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the same way and a beginner, it seems to just come naturally to you. It's all about comfort and form, if it feels right and doesn't affect your form then it works.
    -I've since adjusted and shoot my shotgun left handed and now I can hit doubles all day long when shooting clays.-
    I am slowly trying to shoot my bow with both eyes open. But if it feels more comfortable shooting right handed go with the both eyes open approach, let's more light in anyway.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I am right-handed and left eye dominant. I use a peep and I don't have any problems.

8. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Left eye dominant. Write, and shoot bow and rifle left handed but shoot handgun, swing a bat, play bass, and golf right handed. Go figure

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

9. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My twin boys are right handed and do everything right handed. They are left eye dominant and shoot left handed...lol. They shoot guns very well left handed but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn right handed...lol. It took me a while when they first started shooting to figure out why they couldn't hit anything...lol. Then noticed one started shooting left handed and was hitting everything.

10. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you decide a right handed bow is a better fit, wear a eye patch over your left eye until your comfortable shooting with your right eye. Yes you will feel goofy looking like a pirate but it is the best way to train your right eye:bow:

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, it is best to go with your dominant eye, especially if you are just beginning. It will allow you to easily shoot with both eyes open, which is ideal.

I'm actually cross eye dominant, so I stuck with my right hand. I'm naturally left eye dominant, but years of shooting guns right handed with my right eye and my eyes constantly fight for dominance.

12. Jonl

Jonl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to this forum but the dominant eye issue is very dear to me. I just started seriously bow hunting last year and missed two deer last year and then missed seven in a row this year some as much as 6 feet at 15 yards. I went on a hunt in Brady Texas and missed three nice 8 points and 3 does. It was driving me crazy. The outfitter came to our camp and gave me shooting tips but couldn't understand how I could drill targets but could not hit a deer. After the trip a friend reminded me that even though I am right handed I am strongly left eye dominant and shoot rifles and shotguns left but bows and pistols right but I use my left eye on pistols. I held my thumb on a target at 20 yards with right eye open and shut it and opened left eye and I was 6 feet to right and 2 feet low. Shooting at targets I look through the peep but at deer I subconsciously concentrate on the animal and line the pin up with my left eye and the arrow goes way left and high. After I realized what I was doing I shot a doe at twenty yards perfect. I had that left eye scrunched closed so hard. I wish someone had pointed this out earlier it would have saved me a lot of pain and aggravation. It sure feels good when that arrow goes where it is supposed to.

13. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was right handed and left eye dominant, until I had lasik. My eye doctor asked me if I wanted to change it and based on what he did, I was able to change to become right eye dominant.

14. AnchorSight

AnchorSight Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Left eye dominance issues

Ross Left eye bow config (Small).JPG I had a customer send me a picture of his set up for shooting a right handed bow using his left eye because of dominance issues.… Picture attached. If anyone wants more information go to archeryinnovations.com and contact Lynn. I just received a call this evening from a guy who uses a product called Dominant eye Compound Bow Sight which he wants to incorporate with the Anchor Sight so he can go peep-less and aim using his left eye as well.

15. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We're in the same boat... I'm left eye dominant and ridiculously right handed. I figured it'd be easier to retrain me eyes than my hands. I worked extremely hard to retrain my eyes, but I was successful and have zero problems shooting rifles, shotguns, handguns, and my bow right handed.

16. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Charlie Daniels picture by the way... he's a great Patriot!

17. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always have my soldiers figure out there eye dominance when they shoot. I'm right handed but left eye dominate and when I joined the Army started shooting left handed. I shoot much better now. I'm new to bowhunting but I do believe eye dominance is a major factor in accuracy. As well as breath control and other factors.