Hunting Cleared Timber

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by ShackOU, Sep 29, 2014.

1. ShackOU

ShackOU Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will be hunting my Family's Arkansas property that has been clear cut in some areas, and thinned out in others this year. I have seen some good sign, but wanted to see if there are any others with experience with hunting this type of property. It is about 290 acres.

2. altereddezignz

altereddezignz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well we had a some cleared land where i am from in north east Arkansas and we had good luck staying hid gun hunting. Never been bow hunting there yet since i just started.

3. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting fresh clear cuts is tough sometimes because they don't often travel the same route every time the move... where it's so open they may just wander through wherever they please. Try and find something the narrows them into a bottleneck (a brook, a ravine, a road, etc)... that'll up your chances at getting in bow range.

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    FRESH cuts may be hard to hunt... however in my experience they become 'deer magnets' after 2 to 3 years because of all the new browse that's growing.

5. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    love hunting cut overs it is a fact of hunting life here in the south.. The first year I get up high and rifle hunt after that the deer start using travel corridors more and I will bow hunt it..

6. Jimmie

Jimmie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My experience is pretty much the same as MartinHunter. First year rifle. Occasionally you catch 'em hugging the edge. After that, it's game on. They will start using trails, bedding and still edge hug. I love a 2+ year old cut over.

7. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also... On fresh cut timber you have the opportunity to alter and create the travel patterns. Open some lanes that are easy for them to travel to and from their food source and bedding. Maybe brush up some areas where you don't want them traveling. It's a prime opportunity to help create your own optimal hunting patterns