Want to learn to bow hunt but with recurve bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Brian from mass, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Brian from mass

Brian from mass Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so here goes. I want to learn to bow hunt. Never been, but it's time I finally set aside me time and go out and enjoy life ( was sick for a while, long story but after losing a few organs, I decided to live life)
    Ok, so I love traditional bows, I think recurve is great. I think being able to succeed at hunting with a recurve would be amazing. Problem is, I don't have lots of money to start out with, and all I know is that my state (ma) requires at least 40lbs. Can anyone recommend a good starter bow for turkey, and deer?

Brian

2. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Brian, I did exactly what you are talking about. I started with a samick sage recurve with 40# limbs, tuned it and practiced with it for 9 months or so. In that time I shot three red squirrels at distances of between 10 and 15 yards. Then I bought 50# limbs for deer hunting and began practicing that way. Finally a few months before the season I saw a beautiful looking custom made take down recurve on ebay for a great price. I did a little research and decided to go for it. I think I spent 160$ on it. I really enjoyed the samick, but the draw and feel of the custom bow are much nicer, and I really think its a beautiful bow. I practiced a bunch, bought some really nice arrows ( Fred eichler easton axis), and when I got a shot two weeks into the season I put a montec through a does heart at 20 yards.
    It was near magical, and will always be one of the proudest moments of my life.
    Good luck!

Things you will need:
    Bow- 150$
    A glove or tab-10-25$
    A target - 40$ for a basic block, or for a recurve you can use a lot of things a compound would destroy. I use salvaged blocks of dock styrofoam and spray paint, but there are lots of diy targets.
    Arrows- 50-150$ I would probably start with a dozen cheap carbon shafts, like easton powerflight or cabelas brand or what have you.
    When you can keep them all on target from 15 yards you are ready to upgrade to some hunting arrows.
    Treestand- 55$. I buy the grizzley challenger lock on from ameristep. I can consistently find it new on ebay for 55$. I haven't felt the need to try anything else, I own 5, which is just about the price of one premium lock on stand.
    So for about 300$ you should be able to get just about everything you need, minus camo and broadheads.

3. Haider01

Haider01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning in Texas, saw nothing but some squirrels! Good luck this opening weekend!