I can't concentrate on life!

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Allen_letsgohunting, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Allen_letsgohunting

Allen_letsgohunting Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I thought I would express a feeling many of you can relate to...this is my first year bowhunting, I've been a rifle hunter for years, and my deer hunting has always been reduced to a weekend (at most week) explosion of hunting deer. So much anticipation went into this time, and then it was kind of a deer extravaganza, and then it was done.

MN Bow season opened last weekend and I find myself with SO much time in the hunting season, and I thought I could feel pretty chill about this, take my time, and just enjoy going hunting a lot, instead I've contracted Buck fever(chasing a decent whitetail that lives on the property i'm hunting) and I can't think about ANYTHING else!

I thought I would feel pretty content hunting lightly up until late October and November, but that is certainly not the case!

So what do ya think guys? Any cure for my illness short of getting my deer?

2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, it's called getting hooked. Once you go bow, you won't go back.

3. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is no cure!!! Ask my wife!! LOL!!

4. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This^^^^

I, like you and many others, started as a firearm only hunter. This is my third season bowhunting and there is NO comparison. I have way more pride and excitement from the 3 does (still chasing my first bow buck) that I have harvested with my bow than any buck I've taken with the guns. There is now cure all you can do is hope it doesn't get worse, which it probably will. :p

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting the buck will only be a temporary fix, then you will be looking for the next buck. The good thing about this, there will always be another buck to chase. It is a vicious cycle!

6. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Who needs cures when you have bowhunting? Welcome to the mad world of bowhunting, what you like/thought hunting was take that X 10 and you get bowhunting. Just wait until that first deer gives you the perfect shot and you come to full draw, the craziest rush. I love it, glad you caught the bug. :bow:

7. Allen_letsgohunting

Allen_letsgohunting Newb

Dislikes Received:
    :) Thanks guys, that's kind if what I figured...I have a bad feeling I'm not going to get anything done this fall...except hunting of course!

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It gets worse once you take that first deer. Just like any addiction though you have to manage it and continue to do the needful. It makes the time you spend bowhunting even more rewarding. Welcome to the pack.

9. ridgehunter70

ridgehunter70 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Will agree with that. Good luck op

10. ridgehunter70

ridgehunter70 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck op

11. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its been a long day in the treestand and your hungry and cold and ready to call it a day, the sun is setting and darkness is setting in, you get up to pack your gear when you hear the faintest rustle of leaves coming down the trail, your heart starts racing as the crunching of the leaves gets louder, you grab your bow and turn to get into position, you still can't see whats coming but its getting closer, finally that big 8 you've been hunting comes into view 18 yards and stops..you come to full draw, tunnel vision sets in, your eyes are like laser beams burning a whole in the spot you've picked for your arrow and you squeeze the trigger, the arrow effortlessly passing through the deer. He doesn't know what hit him..he trots off, stops after 30 yards and stumbles once, twice, three times and he's down for the count, your adrenaline is pumping so much, you're almost hyperventilating, you've gotten grab onto the tree so you don't fall out...congrats on your first of many bucks! Good luck this year Allen!

12. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the addiction, it's a hell of a ride!

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And I don't care how elite it makes me sound...a harvest picture with a bow instantly out does a harvest photo with a gun for me...hate to say it but it is so true.

14. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yer screwed....

15. Jimmie

Jimmie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted for years and shot a really nice buck. This is my first year also, and now I don't want it to end. Not bad for a fifty-five year old......whewwwwww!

16. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know why you would call a bow hunting addiction an illness! Now that you have been hunting with a bow you might as well get used to the fact that your gonna be craving the woods 24/7.

And by the way, your gonna love the off-season. :evilgrin:

17. Broadhead27

Broadhead27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can relate man. I've had my bow since last Christmas but I wasn't able to use it for about 6 months because I dry fired it (like a dumbass rookie) I finally got it restrung & have been practicing since. I recently got my Archery permit and am driving my fiance crazy. I am dieing to get out there and tag em' and bag em'!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  18. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nock em and Rock em baby!!! welcome to the addiction...