single pin sights???

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Jamie71, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of single pin sights? And which one do you use and like? Thanks.

2. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    True, I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has used the single pin vs the multi pin and what everyone has to say about them. What there feelings and so on bout the them.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've used both multi-pin (as many as 7 pins) and single pin. Especially as I've gotten older I favor the single fiber optic pin (a slider on one compound bow and a pendulum on the other).

Less to go wrong, less to think about, great visibility, easy to center in the peep, easy to adjust (7 pins was a PITA).

~Bill

5. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I currently use a 4 pin sight and wondering how well a single sight would be. either that or taking one of the pins out of my sight and making it a 3 pin sight and spreading the pins out a little bit.

6. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HHA single pin sight, do the process correctly for getting the correct sight tape and that thing is $. There are some youtube video's to help, also if you don't normally shoot @ 60 yards do the 40yard conversion table that comes with it. Will save you some time.

7. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my HHA single pin! No tools required. I would never go back to multi pin. After dialing it in at 20 and 40, it's good out to 80yds! I would never shoot a deer at 80yds...but a coyote, now that's a different story.

8. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Are the single pin sights easier to dial in from 20, 30 40 and so on? Right now I dont have an area where I could dial it in have to go to a archery target field or somewhere to do.

9. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally use a 4 pin. I haven't tried a single pin but i have a buddy who had one and hated it (actually missed a deer because of it). It would just be too much to think about in the stand, changing the yardage and all. That's actually how my buddy missed his deer, he got all caught up on being silent and what not but forgot to change the yardage. For me the multi-pin sight is just easier!

10. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gottcha, I personally just bought a single pin cause my eyes are getting strained with my 3 pin but it personally was harder with a single than a 3 pin. I like the 3 pin because say a deer is walking in on you and you range him at 30 and you set you pin at 30, than draw and he gets spooked by something behind him and moves up closer to about 15 yards, you're screwed unless you just guess and shoot which isn't a good idea. Just a personal preference

11. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I started bowhunting...a long time ago....I used a static single pin sight zeroed in at 20 yards. Holding right on top of a deer's back was good at 40 yards with my bow. I hunted with that same setup for 10 years and had good success. Then I went to a 3-pin for a few years, a 4-pin for a few more years, a 5-pin for a couple years and now back to a single pin adjustable. So far, I really like it. I practice for the quick shot (when you don't have time to range and move the sight) with it set at 20 yards and hold high between 25-40 yards like I did in the old days. If I have time to range, I'll move the pin.

I'm using the Trophy Ridge React Single Pin. I like it because once you set your 20 and 30 pin, you're good out to 100 yards (if your bow is fast enough). Very quick to set up! It's great. I've been practicing at 60 yards, not that I would ever attempt a shot at a whitetail that far, but it makes a 30 yard shot look like a chip shot.

12. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So he didnt miss a deer because of the sight. He missed a deer because he got to anxious and forgot to go through his steps.

13. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No need to try to be a jack@ss, if he would've had a multi pin he would've been able to drop that deer

14. ridgehunter70

ridgehunter70 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usr multi pin but I did learn a valuable lesson. I went out west last week antelope hunting. Trust me when I say you need a single pin moveable sight oit rhere.

15. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He wouldn't have missed the deer if he verified the yardage, single pin isn't that hard to adjust without making big movements. Plus chill, his response was just pointing something out, no need to start name calling.

16. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    True, if you know your correct yardage you would have a nice hit. Always carry a rangefinder or at least have a good knowledge of distance is very helpful.

17. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Probably already been answered, didn't want to wade through all the replies. The ONLY advantage/disadvantage is what you want out of the sight vs. what you don't. Single pin sights are good as long as shot distances don't vary too much. If they do, single pin sights can cause a clean kill, a wounded/lost animal, or a clean miss. If you have an adjustable single pin and have time to adjust - great. Otherwise it may be best to have a couple of pins for quick reference.

I used a single pin for a little while but since have switched back to a 3 pin adjustable (bottom pin "floater") and for me, it works better.