Peep sights... Am I doing it wrong???

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Hunta270, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Hunta270

Hunta270 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    G'day y'all

I'm new to using peep sights and was wondering if I'm using a wrong or or inconsistent technique..

I'm primarily a rifle shooter and anytime I've used "ghost ring" or aperture/peep sights the technique has always been to look through the ring/peep and centre the tip of the pin in the middle. This is how I've been using my peep sights on my bow. Look through the peep, centre the appropriate pin in the middle then place pin on target and fire.. I have shot some pretty reasonable groups and taken game too. I often read about people placing the sight housing within the peep then moving pin onto target.. Which is right?? Or if both ok which is more consistent??

Cheers guys

2. CarolinaMan

CarolinaMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good question never thought about that guess I'll keep it in mind next time I'm practicing and see what works best for me I think I get the pin on first then center the peep sight around the pin but now sure

3. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's all what your comfortable with.
    The human eye and brain love to center things.
    This is also where your peep diameter and sight housing diameter come in to play.
    I know guys that want to see the colored ring on their sight through their peep and those that don't.
    The more things you line up, the more consistent it should be.

4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The purpose of centering the peep and sight ring are to ensure you are aligned and properly anchored. Some guys try to shoot as small a peep as possible... which is fine until you are in low light. Most of us have discovered this the hard way; you just can't see through a small peep in low light. For that reason, if you use the sight ring, you know you are centered and now all you have to do is aim at the target, even though your pins are not necessarily centered. If you choose this setup, you want to choose your peep size according to what centers best on your sight ring. If you want a large peep, choose a sight with a larger sight ring.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. raptorfx

raptorfx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree....kudos

6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Being an old rifle guy myself (was on the base rifle team back in the day) ^^^ THAT's what I do. Works for me :bow:

7. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I center the pin in the peep as well. I tried doing it the other way and I found myself looking 'around' the pin more checking the center of the housing, then go back to the pin that's not centered, etc. rather than concentrating on settling the pin in to shoot.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I found it much easier to be more consistent using the housing. I also found it offers the best sight picture, otherwise a portion of the housing is covering what I can see.

9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No right or wrong. Many target shooters still circle pin.
    However, for hunting, it is advantages to have a larger peep that let's more light in. It's is also really quick and easy to center the housing. Another advantage is field of view increases with the bigger peep.