Newbie questions.

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Yancey, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got into bow hunting and had a few questions about what most you y'all like and used. I've got my bow on order but still have to get a release and arrows/broadheads. As far as the release goes I'm leaning towards the Tru Fire Hardcore with the forward trigger.
    The guy who sold me the bow also recommended I go with Carbon express Maxima Res and either use the new rage 3 blades muzzy fixed blade broadheads. Anyone have any experience with these that could help me out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try out a couple different releases and see what you like. I shoot the Maxima Reds and they are very good arrows. I also like to shoot slick tricks for my broadheads. They fly just like my field tips and leave a good blood trail. You can't go wrong with them! But there are so many options out there for all there things you really just have to play around a little and see what works best for you

3. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome release. Awesome arrows. Wouldn't waste my time with Rage. Heard nothing but good things about the Muzzy Trocars. Used to shoot some of the older model Muzzy's and had pretty good luck with them.

4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice bow! I shoot Gold Tip XT Hunter arrows and Montec G5 3 blade BH's. Like b_walte15 said there's so much stuff out there and everything is the "next best thing". I wanted to try the new Toxic BH's for deer this year. The BH is stupid sharp and will leaves a wicked wound channel. I just can't get them to shot from my bow for anything. I'm still new in this too but I do have one bit of advice, once you find something that works, it's probably a good idea to stick with it. Good luck this year.

5. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went ahead and ordered the release today. Went with the trufire hardcore max in camo with forward trigger. Pretty sure I'll go with the maxima red and really liking the fixed blade muzzy's but I was going to iron that out when I had to go get my bow next week.

6. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good choices. Best of luck to you sir

7. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The muzzy trocar is a great BH man, a lot of everything is personal preference. I've only had Muzzys so I can only speak of that, grocers fly great, stupid zharp. I zeroed my bow in with field points than threw on the trocars went straight to 60yes and drilled my Mark. Pretty sweet if you ask me.