New Chill R, Poundage Question

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by johnsons1480, Jul 25, 2014.

1. johnsons1480

johnsons1480 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got my new Chill R about a month ago and have shot it nearly every day since. When I first got the bow, 60# was all I could pull back. I've gotten really used to it, and it's a breeze to pull that back now. I'm a big guy so there's no real physical limitations on this question.

My question is, is there any reason to go up to 70#? This is a hunting bow, so I understand that more power can't be a bad thing. Any thoughts?

If it helps, my draw is 30"

2. johnsons1480

johnsons1480 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bump if anyone has any advice

3. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personal preference I suppose. That bow @ 60lbs and a 30" DL is going to send a hunting arrow " of the correct weight" through a deer. If they are on high alert and you are taking a 40 yard shot the extra 25-40?ft/sec couldn't hurt if he jumps or ducks your arrow.

I practice and hunt @ 75pounds. I'm use to it and comfortable with it. However I am in Florida, If I was in Ohio sitting in a snow storm in sub 20degree weather for 3-4 hours I bet you money I couldn't draw my bow back if I really needed to.

My two pennies ;) GoodLuck

4. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it is truly easy, you can always up the weight. At your current draw weight, it should blow right through a deer anyway. A little faster is a slightly flatter shot, and makes accuracy variations a little more forgiving. If you hunt any cold conditions, its a lot harder to draw a bow with cold muscles than it is when you are in 80 degrees. Granted, in TX you probably don't hunt in quite the same weather as what I see up here in MN.

5. johnsons1480

johnsons1480 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice. We don't see as cold of temperatures for sure, but it is possible late in the season that it will get down to the teens. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened before. What I think I'm gathering is that the bow is fast enough at 60#, so I should just keep practicing as much as possible with that setup and leave it as is.