Stability and Consistency

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Aylamel27, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Aylamel27

Aylamel27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am relatively new to archery and new to the forum. I am looking for some advice.
    I have been shooting at the range for about 5 months with my husband with the intention of eventually getting out in the woods with him. I am having trouble keeping stable. Some days I am all over the place and others I seem to be “dead on”. Is there anything in addition I can do outside of practice, practice, practice to help in becoming more stable and consistent? Any advice is much appreciated. Don’t know if this helps but I am shooting an Infinite Edge at a 29” draw and pulling just over 40 pounds. (They just upped my weight but did not want to know exact numbers as I did not want to freak myself out)

2. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Other than continually conditioning there is no way to stabilize. Bowhunting is hard.

3. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Work on your form , it's the biggest deciding factor in your shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Aylamel27

Aylamel27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am practice, practice, practice! I know it will take time I just tend to get frustrated with myself. I will not go out until i am 100% confident I can take a clean ethical shot. If it takes me 2 months or 10 years I will wait until I am consistent and ready.

5. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep what they said, with out a doubt.

6. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes I find myself just going through the motions. I have to tell myself to slow down and focus on every little aspect of every shot. Remember- practice doesn't make perfect; PERFECT practice makes perfect. Don't get discouraged and keep getting after it!

7. Aylamel27

Aylamel27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. When I find myself just going through the motions I will definitely remember this! Thank you :D

8. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am constantly learning...this forum is great because there are so many skilled and experienced hunters! I am definitely not claiming to be one of them, but I have been bow hunting for 25 yrs...and this is what I offer....

1. Don't over shoot. Initially the muscle groups that you use to draw a bow are weak, as you barely use them in unison for any other purpose. As they get stressed from a session, you fight fatigue and that will ultimately create bad form and bad habits. Three sets of five is my general pre-season start...as I feel less strained I may go another set or two...but there's no real need.
    2. Start close. Starting at 10-15 yds will allow you to see the effect of error and success. Emulate and repeat the actions(i.e. anchor points, sight picture, slow steady squeeze of the trigger, and most important in my opinion....follow through) that bring you success and be honest about the actions that caused you to be off.
    3. As the other members pointed out stability comes with strength and confidence in your equipment. When you are confident that when everything is proper and you pull the trigger...that arrow will hit it's mark....you'll feel much more comfortable.

I am not an expert by any means but these things have worked for me and often I have to revert back to these....good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of bow hunting!

9. Aylamel27

Aylamel27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So far I have already learned quite a few things in the couple of hours on the forum!. I am glad I stumbled across it. I think after some reading and thinking about how I was at the range yesterday I believe part of my problem is over thinking everything. Next time out I plan on going back to basics and trying to relax. Thank you. I am sure I will have more questions soon.

10. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Practice practice and practice. .once you start getting good groups either left ...right..high or low then you can start making fine adjustments to your pins/sight

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

11. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's some general thoughts:
    shoot strings of no more then 4 or 5 arrows and take a good rest between strings.
    Relax between individual shots.
    Don't try to freeze the pin on the target, let it float a little. Release at the same point in the float
    Pay attention to your breathing - try to be consistent on your breath when you release
    when things start going sideways, stop - no sense in reinforcing bad behaviors.
    try again another day.

12. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you tall? 29" is a long draw length for a woman. A bow that doesn't fit properly is very hard to shoot consistently.

13. Aylamel27

Aylamel27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I am 5'9 with long arms. I have had my draw length remeasured to verify as that was one of the first things I thought of. I really think a lot of my problem is over thinking and not relaxing.

14. chadrap

chadrap Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Stay away from caffeine. Helps me. And don't rush your shot, but also don't hang on the shot to long. That causes wandering in my shot. Surprise shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget to aim small.
    And yes fatigue can wreck your shooting.
    Sometimes I need a physical break and sometimes a mental break when I just can't focus.

16. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Onehundredpushup.com. Push ups to strengthen your upper body and make sure your knuckle is locked behind your jaw bone.

17. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Proper form is the best way to achieve a stable and consistent platform. Over bowing yourself with too much poundage and or draw length is the quickest way to lose it.

I advise learning what proper form looks like and feels like.

Proper bone to bone alignment along with the correct draw length and weight will settle a pin down quicker than any excersize you can do.

Allistair wittingham has alot of great videos called performance archery on youtube to really help with form and technique.

I suggest you lower the weight to an extremely comfortable range to work on form. Don't worry about a number on a bow scale, it will not help you shoot better and can only hurt you.

Some to get you started

http://youtu.be/68uaju6VT5g
    http://youtu.be/68uaju6VT5g

http://youtu.be/j2JAlq5pWtY

http://youtu.be/d5BYtDLFcKM
    http://youtu.be/rNGJo77OAs8

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  18. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same problem and got a lot of help from this sight. I was shooting all over the place and had a hard time being consistant with my shot placement. I thought it was my arrows, my sights, and my rest. come to find out it was how I held the bow. Your grip on the bow can change everything. I was gripping my bow wrong and was making my shot off. If you look at the palm of your hand you have a diaginal line. Your bow should lay on that line. I use the inside of my pointer finger and thumb. I dont close my fingers around the bow I let the draw do all the work. Practice this from 20 yards until you become consitant with your shot.