Arrow Specs

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by brian81894, Apr 22, 2014.

1. brian81894

brian81894 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Could someone tell me what all of the different numbers mean when trying to compare arrows?

Thanks!

2. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let us now a few things first before we get into numbers, bow weigh, and what you are bowhunting, type of hunting or 3D in other words you would not use the same set up if you were hunting bears vs 3D

3. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What the man above said. What DW,DL, type of bow. Thanks!

4. brian81894

brian81894 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My DW is 53 LBS and my DL is 29". The bow is a Mission X3.

5. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He's not asking what arrow he should be shooting, just what the different spine deflections mean.

Brian, The numbers you are seeing represent the spine deflection of the arrow, or the stiffness in simple terms. The higher the number (500) the weaker the arrow, the lower the number (340) the stiffer the arrow. While at a shop you will generally see 300's, 340's, 400's, and 500's. There are obvious exceptions, though. Some companies like Carbon Express like to make things interesting and do everything backwards. Their 350 spine measures .342" while their 250 spine measures .417"

This is where determining your draw length, poundage, draw weight, and tip weight come into play. For your current setup I would personally put you into a .400 spine which allow the use of either 100 or 125 grain heads.