What do you consider good accuracy

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by ryanf, Apr 20, 2014.

1. ryanf

ryanf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you consider good accuracy? At 10-20 yrds I shoot at different areas of the target to keep from ruining arrows. At 30+ I generally shoot 3-4 at one place. Sometime they are together, sometimes about 3" area. Is that good or not so much? I've seemed to come to a stand still on shooting tighter groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well everyone likes to use the 1" per 10yds formula...So 2" groups at 20yds, 3" @ 30yds and so on...And that's ok within reason.
    Now I do think some guys have no idea what 1" really is...lol. I see guys complaining about "bow issues" all the time and they usually say something like "I can't figure it out, I'm sometimes hitting 1" right at 20yds, something is wrong with my bow", I don't think guys realize how little 1" is and how little it takes to throw a shot off 1"....Then you see the guys who say they can walk outside at any given time and shoot 2" groups at 60yds all day long with 5 arrows....Yeah, and exactly why are they NOT shooting Pro and winning everything there is to win??? If you can do that all day long you can win any & every tournament on the face of the planet. Now granted, plenty of guys will pull off a super group from time to time at longer range but they are not doing it every time. I've pulled off plenty of 3" groups at 80yds over the years but I'm not gonna say I shoot 3" groups at 80 cause I can't do it every time I step up to the target.

3. ryanf

ryanf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. So I'm not to far off from that. 30 yrds is 3-4" but 40 is about 5-6". Where I hunt I wouldn't shoot that far anyway. Maybe just had unrealistic goals. Still room for improvement as always.

4. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like you are progressing just fine with your groups. At 30 and 40 yards I still shoot at single dots just to keep from letting my sight settle in on the last arrow in the target, wherever it may be. You can still get a good idea of what your 'group' is by a quick comparison. After that the more you can increase your distance say out to 70 yards, the better those 20, 30 & 40 yard shots will be on target. At those longer distances I start shooting at a single dot in the middle, just too easy to flinch and send one a foot or so off LOL! And IF I ever did RobinHood an arrow at 70 yards...well now THAT's bragging rights LOL :wave:

5. ryanf

ryanf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot at 60yrd about once a week. Mainly to keep my form in check. They group about 1.5 foot lol. But I've only lost one arrow. I am progressing just seems to me that I've plateaued. Only thing to do is keep shooting I guess. Going to try a 12" stabilizer and see if it will help me from floating so much.

6. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I figure I'm good if I have a 2" - 3" group. I only shoot out to 35 yards and only count the first group of arrows I shoot that day. I always start my practice at a different yardage and only shoot 1 arrow at each yardage. So I'll shoot one at 30, one at 10, one at 25, one at 15 and one at 20. If they are all in a 3" circle I did good. If not, I need more time on the range. Next day I'll shoot a different order to see if I am good. I shoot more after the initial group just to keep in practice but only consider the first group as those are the closest shots to an actual hunting situation. Usually the first shot of the sit at some unforseen yardage is a normal hunting situation. Just my thoughts.

7. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am the same as above, I like to have 1" groups per 10 yards. The first few rounds I may shoot at the same bullseye on a target, but once I am in a rhythm I start shooting at the other bullseyes so I don't ruin my arrows. Later in the summer just before season starts I only shoot at my 3D deer target and a few arrows get ruined but I like to shoot at an actual deer target to get my brain working on vitals and angle.

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Change something if you have come to a stand still. Something, anything. See if it changes for the better or worse. Watch the pro's and see what little things they do that you don't and try it. Only change one thing at a time. Do it more than once to get use to doing it and see how it affects your shooting.

As for groups, I'm never satisfied. I stopped shooting groups and started shooting 1" circles and am not happy if I don't hit them and it doesn't matter the yardage.

9. ryanf

ryanf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. Some good points I've never considered. It's nice to be able to ask people that have experience and not trying to make a sale.

10. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me, it's not how tight of a group I get, but how comfortable am I that my arrow will produce a kill shot at a certain distance. There are days where I'm ready to go chase deer and others that I know that I need work.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I learned so much when I started shooting a longer distances. I never shoot over 60 yards. I don't have a shot that long where I hunt. I noticed a great jump in accuracy when I shoot at 40 yards and then at 20. I do like a lot of other guys and don't shot at the same spot inside of 25 yards. I shoot and practice with Nocturnals and the Rage practice heads. Easier to hit the nock with that head and they are expensive. Your groups seem fine. Keep Practicing.
    One thing I do is I practice hunting scenarios. I climb the tree and sit as if I am hunting. I look around and spot the deer. I slowly stand and get my bow. If I haven't already, I range the deer. Look for other eyes in the area. Wait for the correct time to shoot, draw and then make the shot. You will be AMAZED how much this helps you. Pick odd yardage like 11,23,27,36,42 yards and it will be even more challenging.

12. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Long range practice isn't about "how far of a shot do I have where I hunt?"...Long range practice is about working on your form & consistency. Even if you don't have a shot where you hunt over 30yds if you'll spend the bulk of your time shooting 50+yds it'll make you a better shot. Once I have a bow tuned & dialed in the bulk of my shooting sessions are spent from 60 to 100yds....I'll shoot an occasional group at 20,30,40,50 yds to just stay on top of things but for me shooting longer ranges pays off a lot more than spending all my time at 20yds pounding dots.

13. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Along with what J-Daddy said, stretch that distance out as far as possible when practicing. It doesn't mean you'd ever take a shot at a deer that far, rather it's to help you build more confidence and learn about your form better to help make those under 40 shots seem like slam dunks.

14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My best advancements in accuracy came with close practice and concentrating on form and shot sequence. These close practice sessions really build confidence and you can get alot of shots in, in a short period of time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

15. The Old Man

Dislikes Received:
    I have to shoot at short range. My neighbor doesn't appreciate me shooting from his back yard. Go figure. :confused:

16. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yer from North Dakota and can't find a place to shoot long distance? Gosh.

17. The Old Man

Dislikes Received:
    I do occasionally. It's much easier though to walk off my deck and shoot out to 35 yards. Can be shooting in two minutes any time I choose. No need to load up, ride to a range or haul a target to set up. It's all there just outside my back door. I can reinforce my form at 35 yards as well as at 60 or 70.

18. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was just jerking yer chain. I live in Texas and still have to drive 30 minutes to steal a spot to shoot. I am exceedingly jealous of anyone who can shoot 35 yards off their porch.

19. The Old Man

Dislikes Received:
    Don't be too jealous. I have to shoot at the target ON my deck. How's that for being attentive to my form as I shoot?:bow:

20. ryanf

ryanf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At least you live in the best state lol.

I have a set up in my back yard that's up to 40 yrds. Also have one at my parents that's set out to about 100.