Hog hunting - A transition

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Machine31, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Machine31

Machine31 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. I've been a hunter for years, since I can remember actually but the hunting has always been with firearms. I'm wanting to start hog hunting with my bow this year and would appreciate any advice you can give. Anything from broadhead selection to whatever else. Keep in mind I have never bowhunted before so I honestly don't know what questions to ask.

I reckon what I'm trying to get at, what advice, tips and tricks would you have for an experienced firearms hunter thats switching to bows?

Thanks fellas, always appreciated.

2. hr00544

hr00544 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Practice practice practice. I just started bow hunting last year and like you u have hunted with firearms all my life. Target shoot from real hunting scenario...out of tree or ground blind.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For hogs get a solid fixed blade like a g5 Montec, NAP hell razor and the VPA terminators. Then get a nice heavy arrow around 450+ and take quartering away shots and try to slip it behind the rib cage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say starting hunting deer with a bow before hogs. Hogs don't die easily.

5. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try to take shots like maxpetros said and hope for a passthrough so you will have a bloodtrail.Without a passthrough the entrance wound with arrow acts like a cork in a wine bottle.The biggest problem with not getting a PT is the big ribs.If I go hog hunting and have a choice between a big hog or small one I will shoot the small one anymore.I ve killed a few big ones and I ve lost a few big ones.Small ones take the cake on table fare hands down.

6. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I lived in California I hunted hogs exclusive, the setup mentioned above is perfect, a good heavy arrow, and a very sharp fixed head broadlead. Just throw In a little practice and you will be fine...lots of fun hunting hogs....hog hunting is the only thing I will miss about California now that I am in Alaska.....lol

7. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You dont need a fixed blade for hogs i use killzones and drop hogs left and right i think mechanicals work better leave bigger cuts and more blood loss. A good heavy arrow and a wide cutting head will get the job done fast. My wife shoots hogs with a 45 pound setup and light arrows and she even slays them lol heres a pic of a 200 pound hog that i hit with a killzone he went 30 yards tipped over the blood was insane looked like a giant murder scene lol it was for the hog.

Attached Files:

8. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bowsniper ,you got an extra room?

9. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pigs are a ton of fun to hunt.

We hunt them around the clock here, all year long. I've been after them with a bow since the mid 90's.

Like mentioned above, a heavier arrow with a sturdy fixed blade is the way to go. I shoot a 400 gr arrow with a Slick Trick Magnum.

Get to know their anatomy, their vitals are further forward, and lower than a deer. There is also their much more substantial skeleton, gristle and the fact that they never stop moving that leads to poor shots and lost oinkers.

Practice.

Practice during the day

Practice from a seated position

Practice from a tree stand.

Once you get good at that, start practicing it all at night. When you clamp on a bow light, don't just assume that you'll be as awesome as you are during the day. You'll need to sort out your pin light (as dim as possible) an easy to find peep, and be able to come to anchor without having to search for your peep (practice blind bale shooting)

Good luck, and have fun!

I'm getting too old to still be this dumb - DM