HELP! Got my First Bow - Need some help Accesorizing.....

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Dcmcmill, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Dcmcmill

Dcmcmill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Gents,

I just got my first bow to try my hand at Colorado Elk hunting this fall with my roomate who guides. I live in Golden, Colorado and have access to a really nice outdoor bow club. I bought a used Mathews Creed off of Ebay and I need some help with the accessories, specifically arrows and heads. Here is what I currently have..... btw - I managed to pay $787.00 for all of the stuff listed below except the quiver! score.

WHAT I HAVE:
    1) Mathews Creed Tactical 70/28.5 all black
    2) Spot Hogg, Hogg-It sight
    3) limsaver AWS modular stabilizer - 8/9 inch carbon fiber black to match the bow
    4) mathews rest
    5) plano hard case
    6) limbsaver wrist sling
    7) 2 limbsaver broadband vibration dampeners
    8) Mathews Tactical Q5 quiver all black

WHAT I NEED:
    1) a release - thinking about the spot-hogg ones?
    2) A target - something simple that i can shoot at and is easily portable
    3) broad heads for Elk - would like to buy some Rage heads
    4) heads to use when shooting at targets
    5) ARROWS!!!!!!! I know nothing about arrows (size/model/company/weight/etc)

PLEASE HELP!

2. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For Elk hunting I would not use Rage. I would find a good fixed blade head. If you wanna shoot a mechanical, maybe I'd try the Killzones or Swhackers. Would go with fixed blades if all possible. I would shoot a 125gr. heads as well, that is just my opinion. Just get the same grain field points for practice.

As far as arrows, around a 350 spine with what set up you have. Depending on how much you wanna spend. If you want some good arrows for a good price, try Deer Crossing Archery arrows. They are great for the price. I like a little heavier arrow, I shoot Carbon Express Mayhem Hunters, 350 spine they weight 9.8gpi. Just depends on what you wanna spend. Hope this helps some.

3. Dcmcmill

Dcmcmill Newb

Dislikes Received:

THANKS A BUNCH! Super helpful. I am googling all of this as we speak. Are carbon arrows better than aluminum? If I were going to try my hand with some Easton arrows, which one would you reccomend? Also, how many arrows do i need to buy? Can i practice with the ones i hunt with? if thats the case then I guess I would only need Six or so? sorry for all the novice questions. the help is much appreciated.

dustin

4. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't used Eastons in a long time. Nothing wrong them. I just like the Carbon Express Mayhem Hunters better. Yes, you can practice with ones you hunt with. Carbon are better than aluminum in my opinion. As far as fixed blades, I like the Magnus Stinger 4 blade, Muzzy MX3's, NAP Hellrazors. There are a lot of good ones though.

These are great arrows for the money, but its really up to you on your arrows.
    Hunter Custom +/-.003" | Deer Crossing Archery LLC

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  5. Dcmcmill

Dcmcmill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If i shoot a 28.5 inch draw length, what length arrow would that equate to?

will these work?

Easton Full Metal Jacket Arrows 340 | eBay

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 29 inch draw length and I shoot FMJs and they will work fine. They hit hard and will get the job done. As far as a portable target, buy the Rhinehart 18-1 and you won't need another portable target for years. The best portable target made!

7. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    What Sam said! I shoot a 28.5 DL and my arrow are 28.5" as well. Should be just fine.

8. Jmona

Jmona Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For the arrows I would recommend anything Gold Tip or Easton. As far as Targets go, we would need to know your DW. Depending on that you can buy one that suits your poundage needs say at the Hut where you shoot or Basspro.

TRUGLO, TruBall, TruFire and Scott make good releases. There's also Cobra but I would say stay away from it. Idk. I like the ones mentioned better.

Also mind you that the price doesn't always matter when it comes to a release. It could be expensive and crappy or cheap and good. I've dealt with both kinds.

For arrow heads for target and depending on the target you're getting, the guys at your club should be able to advise you on that.

Depending on the DW I can go from 300/340 and 500 Spine Arrows. But there again my DL is only 25.

Looks like you're in the right direction though. Welcome to archery! ☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. NMLongshot

NMLongshot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy broad heads, Carbon Express Piledriver 350s, QAD Ultra Hunter fall away rest. IMHO and your mileage may vary.

10. CurtisM

CurtisM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shuttle T by trophy taker is what I will be hopefully schwacking my elk with this fall. Paired them with the carbon express reds = tack driving monster. Anyways just another opinion take it or leave it.

11. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of good heads mentioned here.Great all around head is a Muzzy Phantom.Muzzy is "bad to the bone".