Are my arrows too light & dangerous?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by MonkeyShot, Apr 15, 2014.

1. MonkeyShot

MonkeyShot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi All!

I'm looking to buy more arrows and starting looking at all the specs and info and came away thinking my present arrow might be too light and dangerous.

Right now I have Carbon force Radial X Weave 200's - they spec at 7.5g per inch - I shoot 32" arrows (w Blazers) and with a 31" draw @ 55lbs (Although I think I might shot 60 this season)

Also I use 100g tips -

I could "upgrade" to the X Weave 300 @ 8.6g per inch..... but I like the speed and flatness I am achieving right now.

What do you guys think?

2. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First make sure that your shafts match up with your draw weight. I would personally go with heavier arrows because it gives you better penetration. IMO.
    Good Luck :)

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are light but plenty heavy enough for 55 pounds or even 60. However I like a heavier arrow for more momentum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MonkeyShot

MonkeyShot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the feedback - the recommended arrow is the heavier 300's according to the chart PSE has but I find that curious considering the performance of the 200's. Fast, Flat and the 2 kills I had last year - complete pass thru. So my real consideration is damage to the bow if too light.... I tend to think they are fine or borderline but hey I needed the sanity check here from guys with tons more experience and knowledge.

5. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are already on the move from fifty five to sixty it will not be long until you go from there to sixty five or seventy pounds. I would find an arrow that will handle the higher poundage and stick with that. Personally I like consistency and found this with the Easton Axis arrows. There are many choices in arrows and many are good. It really comes down to personal preference. Five grains per pound is a good rule of thumb. I am shooting a 416 grain arrow at 310 FPS with seventy pound bow. The arrows are 9.5 GPI Easton Axis 340s and they shoot well. Give these a look. Good luck.

6. MonkeyShot

MonkeyShot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I'll take a look at those - I always wonder when people reference an arrow weight "416 grain arrow" is that strictly the arrow or is that a finished weight? I assume just the arrow.

7. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    Finish Weight
    I will not shoot less than 9.5 gpi on my arrows and will not allow my son to either. You can safely do so we just don't..

8. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your shooting that long of a draw, the spine is too weak on those arrows. I would go up to the 300's for sure. It's always better to be a little over spined than under. IMO, your bow would shoot much better with the 300 arrow.

9. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS and the bow will be quieter too.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

10. MonkeyShot

MonkeyShot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome advice - I think the consensus here is it is correct to move to the 300's for performance and safety. Decision made - thanks guys!

11. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with the other guys, the 300 in those will serve you better with your long draw length and even longer arrow length...Most people just look at draw weight when searching for arrow spine numbers but that's only have the equation, you need to consider arrow length, point/insert weight and other factors...

12. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you are doing the right thing by going up.

As far as safety goes they say 5 grains per pound of draw weight for a minimum. That's finished arrow weight. I personally like to stay higher than 6.5 even on my target arrows. I like to try to stay above 8gpi on my hunting arrows with a min finished weight of 380. I plan on going up to a min of 400 grains finished.

13. MonkeyShot

MonkeyShot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ordered the 300's on Thursday - arrived on Saturday. I'll start shooting this week so I'll soon see the difference in performance. I really don't expect a drastic change. I did the math on the finished arrows and the 200's weight was 376.2 and the new 300's - it came to 408.2

32 grains difference - maybe the arrows will be a little slower but will I even notice? I'll drop some feedback in here once I have a good sampling of shooting.

14. MonkeyShot

MonkeyShot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    OK - Some testing results for you guys. It turned into a pretty cool situation as my buddy just picked up a PSE Drive LT - so we naturally compared everything to my PSE Stinger. I shot 3 different days and 2 days along side the Drive LT.

First as expected the heavier arrows didn't fly as flat but I didn't notice much speed loss. I zero'd for 20 yards and tested at 15, 20 and 25 - pretty flat, little variation. At 30 I noticed a drop but I want to shoot the entire process all over again due to the extremely windy conditions during the last session. I think the wind was gusting to 30-35 on Sunday up here in northern Illinois.

My buddy was shooting his drive at a slightly higher pull weight about 58lbs I think. His arrows weighed about 435 - he seemed to have a very similar flight path - a tad better out to 30 yrds (flat). The bow seemed accurate as I expected. He had some accuracy issues but was new to the bow and moved from years of recurve use. When his technique was solid his shots were solid. The drive seems like a very good bow - I kinda want one but the Stinger still rings like great bang for the buck. Too bad its discontinued - I saw one shop had them for $299 RTS..... really great price.

So my plan is to work up to 60 lbs by the summer and shoot shoot and shoot until the season - see if I can't make the flight of the new arrows a little flatter thru a little more power.

Again thanks for all the advice guys.

15. brian81894

brian81894 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Might seem like a dumb question, but what all does the "finish weight" consist of?

16. MonkeyShot

MonkeyShot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ready to shoot arrow - includes: arrow, insert, nock, fletching, tip & any wrapping. All measured in grains.

17. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stay on the heavy side with mine....cant go wrong when you need penetration

18. MonkeyShot

MonkeyShot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Penetration is always a debatable subject - many many articles that I've read suggest that the differences are minimal. The heavier arrow gives you more KE but at a marginal level (vs speed). I don't have a practical look at this but maybe after this season I will. With the lighter arrows I had complete pass-thru shots. One of which broke a rib bone upon initial contact. Where can KE help? Bigger animals and more direct bone hits I assume. I'm certainly in the camp of flat arrow flight and fast but balance to some degree is important.

19. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    The entire arrow fully dressed head to toe.

20. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Arrow weight all depends on the animal, heck I've shot through tons of deer with arrows in the 380gr range... But I stayed away from the shoulder with that setup... And that's was back before I did a lot of experimenting... These days for hunting I almost always run 425-450gr arrows. Speed doesn't mean that much honestly, I shot a pronghorn a couple years ago with a 480gr arrow at extremely long range "long enough I won't post the yardage on here" and that arrow checked out and was never to be seen again after destroying a shoulder. I put a follow up shot on that same antelope at 36yds and never saw that arrow again either.
    Heavy arrows pack momentum better and IMHO momentum means more than KE honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk