Kid intro bows

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Josh, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Was wondering if anyone knows what a good bow is for kids (ages 8 & 11). Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Ethan Hurd

Ethan Hurd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Diamond Razor edge it great for beginners. I started 3 years ago. I would recommend to get the new one by Diamond it's called the infinite edge it's great I hear! Also there's Mathews Mission, and some by Hoyt and PSE that are good beginner boys for youth!! Good luck.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote here for the Infinity Edge. I have purchased sever of the older version Razor Edges and have been extremely happy with all of them. The new version is just a huge improvement on it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

4. Destro

Destro Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on your kid's level of interest and your budget. I recently purchased a bow for my 9 year old son. I ended up purchasing the Bear Vortex Bow Package. This was based on the draw length (21 - 27), draw weight (20 - 45) and price $169. The bow comes with a 4 pin sight and quiver. I added a whisker biscuit for $40 and my son is extremely happy.

It is inevitable a young child will want a "new" bow after a couple of years and thought this was a good stop gap until he has some more knowledge and is able to pick one out. I figure, if you buy them a $350 bow now, then what is next.

5. Relic

Relic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I started my daughter out with a Bear warrior cheapy bow...once she got the basics down she upgraded to a Parker Lightning. Out of all the youth/starter bows we tried,she liked it the best. It feels like a higher end bow unlike a lot of the beginner bows out there. It's adjustable from 19"-29" and 30-60#. She's been shooting it for a couple months now and still likes it. She is shooting it at 45# and can shoot it for quit awhile before she gets wore out...she just turned 12 years old. I think we have around $400 in it fully set up with arrows. Im thinking it was just shy of $300 for the bow alone....so not to hard on the wallet.

6. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im guessing you meant the Barnett Vortex? Bear would be the Apprentice or Warrior

7. Destro

Destro Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yes ... the Barnett Vortex

8. InBuckHunter

InBuckHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Would you buy your 8 to 11 year old a single pair of boots to last them until they could buy there own? Of course you wouldn't.
    So why buy a kids bow now & when they grow they will need another when there draw length is more that the kids bow will take?
    What you need is a bow that can grow (adjust) with them like the Mathews Mission CRAZE Hunting Compound Bow.
    It adjusts from 19" to 30" in draw length & from 15 to 70# in draw weight, it would be a good bow for an adult as well as a child.

Craze® | Mission Archery

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  9. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We started my 5 year old with a Genesis and a whisker biscuit. He loves to shoot it. If he stays with it, we'll look at a Diamond for him when he's a little older. And that's the plan with all my boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Josh

Josh Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone used or heard of the Apprentice 3 by Bear?

11. countryfamily

countryfamily Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone used or heard of the Apprentice 3 by Bear?<br/>

The bear apprentice is a great s bow. IMO. I bought my wife the apprentice 2 to start her out on an she loved it. Since she got her new bow we use the apprentice to introduce our friends, family, and there kids to share our addiction of shooting bows

Country_ Boy

12. Crystal Grubb Martin

Crystal Grubb Martin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Both of my children (4 and 6) have the Diamond Infinite. They love it, and I love that it will grow a bit with them.

13. coloelk

coloelk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My son shoots the Bear Apprentice 2. Great bow with a lot of adjustability, and pretty good speed for a kids' bow. He's 12 now and starting to outgrow it. Looking to get him something longer ATA soon and pass the Apprentice down to his 9 year old brother.

14. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My 6 year old loves her mini Genesis. For the most part, right now, I just want her to fall in love with archery and strengthen her bow muscles. We'll get her a bow she can grow into down the road.

15. returnofsid

returnofsid Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We started out daughter out, at 7, with a yard sale POS Bear Brave 2. I only say POS because the "cable" was completely stretched out, so would actually be slack if draw weight was decreased much. However, we purchased 2 identical POS Bear Brave 2 bows, and a bag target, at a yard sale for $40.00 total. The bag target hadn't had a single arrow in it and was worth the total price. We did this just to see if archery was something she'd be interested in.

Despite the condition of the bows, she became proficient quickly and loved it! A few months ago, after doing a lot of research, debating between the Diamond Infinite Edge, the Mission Menace, the Mission Craze and the Hoyt Ruckus, we settled on a Mission Craze for her. We had each bow set to her draw length and set to 18 lbs. She shot each. Later, we realized that the Mission Craze was actually pulling about 20 lbs, but it was actually the one she felt most comfortable shooting. Between the 4 bows, we let her decide and she made the right decision! She's now 8 years old and pulling about 26 lbs. She LOVES IT!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's pretty proud of her 15 yard "elk kill!"

[​IMG]