new guy here, need advice

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by ogre65, Apr 3, 2014.

1. ogre65

ogre65 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hello all. I have only recently gotten interested in bow hunting. some of my friends are very involved and all offer different opinions on bows so I thought I would check here. Im 6 ft tall and 230. today I fired my friends compound bow with a 70 pound pull without too much difficulty. beng as I don't even know the first thing about equipment I guess im looking for some imput on a good bow for a beginner that will also last for a while. any thought? thanks

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    orge65 first question whats your price range and wing span? If you are looking for decent bows at a decent price both Mission and Diamond make some decent bows. I have shot the Diamond fear no evil bow and that is setup is not bad for the price. Of course the big boys are Hoyt, Mathews, Elite, PSE and Bowtech. You don't have to spend a fortune but you can if you are not careful. The best thing to do is find a bow shop that has several bows in your price range and shoot them. You will be able to to tell which one you like.

In regards to weight. Sit flat on the ground and draw the bow. If you have to struggle its too much. Your draw length should be decent and 60 lbs will be fine for most animals in North America.

Either way good luck and have fun trying out new bows.

3. Tygaiser7

Tygaiser7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mission ballistic!! Great bow and a good price! I love mine! Just sighted mine in out to 60 yards!

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! I would take any suggestions that you get here with a grain of salt. Everyone thinks that what they shoot is the best and perfect for everyone. I can tell you that is certainly not he case. Copperhead had some great advise above. Figure out a budget remembering things like arrows, case, release, etc... and go spend some times shooting bows in that range. After you shoot a few you will start to develop a feel for aspects of the bow that you like and don't like and you will figure out the right one for you. Don't rush the process and settle on something that you will regret two weeks later. Do your homework and you will end up with the right one! Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to go with!

5. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum!! I couldn't agree more with Jfergus!!! Figure out your price range and shoot as many different bows as you can!! You might be surprised by which bow chooses you!! Good luck!

6. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome aboard!!! Listen to ferg and good luck!!! :tu:

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely follow the advice here regarding getting into a shop and shooting as much as you can. Since you're so new to the sport, and you're unsure of your draw length, draw weight, etc., I would go to a reputable shop (where you preferably can shoot) and have them set everything up for you and watch you draw, anchor, etc., Basically, find a shop that isn't just there to sell you equipment. They should be willing to go over these basics with you.

Oh...and welcome!

8. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome and Good Luck !!!