Just getting started

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Alissa Kay, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Alissa Kay

Alissa Kay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was finally able to get my Mathews Jewel set up yesterday and all I've gotta say is that I'm in love! I shot a Hoyt Rampage XT before and it doesn't even come close to comparing to the Mathews. So with that out of the way I want to know some tips from people. When I shot my Hoyt, I got really bad target panic and punching the trigger, because I had a malfunction on my release and just scared me from then on out to shoot. While I got rid of most of the target panic now, I still find myself punching the trigger. Anybody have any ideas as to how to get over this?

2. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Blind bail shooting.
    Get about 5 yards from your target and just keep shooting it. you just want to build the muscle memory.
    Each time you shoot try to hold at full draw just a little bit longer each time.
    DO NOT worry about your accuracy right now. :bow:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just relax and make sure you stay focused through your whole shot

4. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What Michael says is what pistol target shooters do...

5. Jmona

Jmona Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First of all Jewel, awesome Choice!
    Second, what kind of release are you shooting with? I have a Hero by Scott and a Detonator, and they are both great. I had a tru fire hurricane when I started and kept having this surprise release or as other people call it unanticipated release because I kept getting my finger on the trigger and that was chaos for me because the trigger being so touchy, barely rubbed and off it went, making me loose my target by several inches. So I learned to keep my finger behind the trigger of my release and only let go till I was steady and ready.

The suggestion about not worrying about accuracy is also true, You are used to shooting your HOYT and the difference is big between them too bows. I am no pro but my suggestion would be either get a different release or just keep your finger off the trigger till you're ready.
    And holding your full draw for a longer time as Michael suggested, could also be beneficial. just get acquainted with your bow and then after a while then start worrying about everything else. That is quite a transition there.
    You didn't mention your DW too. Makes me wonder if that could make a difference. I shoot at 40lbs DW although I started at 25 in increments to build up to it.

6. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alissa, I have some of the same problems that you do. I changed from a Hoyt Vixcen to a Matthews Jewel (love, love, love it). I started at 33lb and now am up to 38lb. I think I need to change my release. I have a tru fire and hit the release too soon by accident sometimes. I have been using a large rubberband like we use in exercise class and practice pulling it back and holding it just like I was pulling the bow back (same form) and it seems to help. Also, shooting 3-D tourn is helping. Since I am brand new to hunting and archery, I'm not so much interested in scoring "high" as much as I am just getting comfortable and hitting my "kill zone". But I'm hooked and I love bow hunting. Practice, practice, practice. My 14yr old g'daughter took my Hoyt and shoots some 3-D tourn with me.....so much fun.

7. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alissa, I see we have more in common than just bow hunting. I just saw on your profile that you are going for your RN...congrats. I just retired from nursing after 37 years. ICU, ER and supervising. Never regretted a day of it.