DIY Good Cheap (Free) Target

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by frantic29, Mar 6, 2014.

1. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Targets are spendy. At least good ones are. Heres a little trick that save you tons of money so you can no longer use the excuse of I don't have money for a target so I don't practice. I didn't take pictures because its just really really easy.

Get some pallet wrap from a local grocery store or retail store. I got mine from a Pepsi driver. Just go and ask them if they will shove the pallet wrap they rip off the pallets into some large trash bags for you. Make it easy for them and take them the trash bags. 1 55 gallon trash bag made 1 18X18X20 target with just a little left over. Find a good box of your liking size wise. Again local retail store will probably be able to set you up. I had one at home from a heater we just bought.

Stuff the wrap into the box and I mean stuff the hell out of it. Its not mandatory but a 6x6 piece of plywood with small nails driven through is nice. It helps the packing by getting the air bubbles out. A wire brush may work as well with that. Really stuff it full. That is where a good box is needed the sides should be bulging pretty good when full. After its full Tape it up, mark targets on the side of it or go HERE and print yourself out some targets to tape on the side of it.

When you shoot all 6 sides out of the box pull the stuffing out and reuse with a new box.

Don't shoot broadheads into it though. They get all caught up in the plastic and you pretty much have to cut them out. While you can't shoot broadheads into it it saves a lot of wear and tear on your store bought target and is a cheap way of setting up multiple targets if you want some different angles when shooting and don't want to move yours all over the place. Also very light and 2 finger pull. My Vendetta shooting about 270 penetrates about 5".

HAPPY SHOOTING!!

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here is my alternate spin- put a trash bag in the box first, then stuff. Use a vacuum to suck all the air out, which will collapse the wrap. Pack it some more, vac, etc. Duct tape the box shut.

3. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing that for the past 25 years. It REALLY works great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I knew it definitely wasn't new but in searches I didn't see it come up in this forum so I figured I would add it. I am building a 6 target course on the land we rent and this definitely is saving me tons of money. Even buying the super cheap targets I would have been in it for over $200 and would have had to replace them halfway through the summer.

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for this! planning on making my own 3D style walking course to get ready for fall elk. 5-10 of these will be awesome for that.