My little girls first bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by chris wright, Feb 22, 2014.

1. chris wright

chris wright Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just picked up my little girls first bow. A new mission craze. She loves it. We didn't get to shoot much but we got her set up and ready to sling some arrows. I did notice she has a little trouble holding the string back for more than a few sseconds. What's some good ideas on building her strength without using the bow. My bow comes in next week and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

2. Jim0369

Jim0369 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How old? I have 2 daughters but they are under 7. I am also interested in getting them bow hunting.

3. chris wright

chris wright Newb

Dislikes Received:
    She will be 11 this June. She has a 21in. Draw length and 20 pound draw weight. She loves her bow. We are gonna shoot after church tomorrow. If your girls are interested then I would go all out. Its gonna be awesome having something her and I both have a passion for.

4. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very Cool!

5. john128652001

john128652001 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Albany, NY living with the Yankees but from N.C.
    I think it's great that your getting into archery with your daughter. I'm not familiar with that bow. Can you back the poundage down for her to something she can hold without struggling? I can't think of a good way to exercise for it. Archery requires good form and you can't get good form when you are struggling with the bow. See if you can back the poundage down to where she can hold and work on 3 point anchor, Stance, draw arm up and behind the arrow and follow through, meaning don't let your bow drop until the arrow hits target. Youtube has some good vids on proper form.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My 5 year old daughter uses exercise rubber tubes for training. We have a mini genesis for her to shoot.

7. Relic

Relic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My 11 year old daughter just got her first bow as well. Judging by her draw length and pull...she sounds like she is on the smaller side...about the same size my daughter was at 6. Back then she struggled with a 20# recurve and fell out of archery until a few weeks ago. I was surprised to learn that she has a 27.5" draw length and she is shooting 40#...she struggled the first couple of days at 40# but just a week later she can slip it back with ease...enough so that she wants to crank it to 45#...I told her we will work at 40# until mid spring and if she really wants the extra #5 we'll do it. I want her at 50# before I let her deer hunt.{personal preference}

8. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your daughter must be tall and have long arms. I'm 5'8" and have a 26" draw

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. Relic

Relic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    She comes up to my chin and I'm 6'5". She is already taller than my wife....people are always surprised when they hear she is only 11.

10. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome! My daughter is 9 and will be able to hunt next year. I can't wait!

11. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome man!! She will build those muscles the more she shoots.

12. chris wright

chris wright Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The poundage will go down a little more but not much. The bow adjusts from 15 to 70 pounds. I wanted her to work up as fast as posible. Even at the lowest pull she shakes. We are getting her use to pulling back and release. When she gets a little better at holding the string back I'm going to start working on anchor points. She already has a natural draw back. Thanks for the post and recomendations. I'll look into lowering the draw weight a little more and see how that helps.

13. chris wright

chris wright Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ya, she's a little on the small side. I hope my girl moves up that fast. I want her to get to 40# or 45 before we think about getting in the stand. She's about a 20# draw right now and maybe she will get used to it enough to work on form. Thanks

14. tlrfshr

tlrfshr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome! Always great to see younger people getting into the sport!

15. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would be more concerned that she not injure herself. Being young and still in the growth process it is important that she is able to practice without pressure to "work up fast as possible." When you say she "shakes at the lowest pull" that would concern me and should have been a concern at the bow shop as well IMO.

Here is a link from someone I trust on building up for archery... from a lady's perspective.

Mia & the Little Gal: How to stay in shape for archeryHunting, shooting, fishing and adventure for women by women

I saw a video recently about form which may be of a help... perhaps she is using her muscles, rather than the bone structure which is causing the shaking?

Lesson 1 + Overview on WO+ - YouTube

16. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  17. Workhorse

Workhorse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My 7 year old daughter has been asking for two years to get a bow...so this year for her 8th bday in May, I am picking her up a Diamond Infinite Edge. Great little bow,and adjustable from 5 to 70 lbs with a big draw length adjustment as well.

18. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I'd buy her a Geneses. The 30lb model can drop to around 10ld. Both of my 4 year old sons shoot one.

Like someone else said, I'd worry about injury and her not enjoying it. Also, if you don't learn the fundamentals properly at first the bad habits start to form and they are very hard to break.

Instead of her working up the bow should be taken down to where she needs it. This does 2 things. Allows her to learn proper form from the start and most importantly it sets her up for success. She will be able to hit where she is aiming much faster and that makes for a fun exciting experience. Let a kid miss time after time and struggle to be successful and they will loose interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great Bow!

20. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I literally love this sport and hobby.I am glad to hear about these youngsters being interested in our great sport.I just bought my stepson his first bow and he is 12.