Looking for my first bow in 20+ years.

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Nubster, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Nubster

Nubster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello...just wanted to throw out a quick hello from WV

Anyways, I had a bow probably 20 years ago. Shot all summer preparing for archery season only to find a crack on one of the limbs about two weeks prior to opening day. Being a kid at the time, I couldn't afford to have it fixed and pretty much hung it up. Today I'm pouring over the internet with renewed interest. I'm too late to get something for the current season, but I'd still like to pick up a new bow to shoot for fun and be ready for next year.

So like a lot of folks, budget is a huge concern. Because of that, I've been looking at some of the R.A.K. setups out there. Especially the Diamond brand bows. As far as those, I'm kind leaning towards the Outlaw package and that package that I found for $625 would be the upper end of my budget. My first question is, are those packages worth the money or are the components pretty lacking? Would I be better off piecing something together on my own, even if it costs a little more or I downgrade the bow selection a little to allow more $$$ to buy the other needed equipment? I'll be looking for something that will do 60+ pounds draw weight and up to 30" DL. That's a guesstimate on DL. I'll have a better idea next week I hope.

Second question, what other setups are worth a look at that price point or less? I'm not set on a brand. My old bow was a Bear so there's just the slightest bit of nostalgia attached to them, but otherwise, my brand loyalty is a bland slate. I'm also not opposed to used.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Also, I plan to visit some shops soon, most likely next week. There's only a few in the area including a Gander Mountain so I'm hoping to get my hands on a few bows to see what I like and don't like.

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First off Welcome to the forum. To your first question sometimes they are good setups and sometimes not. Check out huntersfriend.com for some good setups that you can call and customize. Bows I currently rec are in the higher price range so I wont bother. Many others on here can give you some input.

3. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So in the $600 range two of my favorites are the Mission Ballistic or the Hoyt Charger. Both bows come with great warranties and strings - very solid rigs. Could set them up with a QAD Hunter, Alpine quiver, $60ish dollar Trophy Ridge or TruGlo site and you should come out around $600 - give or take... The Diamond bows are alright. Not a fan of the Octane Hostage rest though.... If I bought one, I would buy bare bow and put my accessories together separate....

Also - the 2014's are coming out for most of the bow companies.... Don't be afraid to mention that fact (that the 2014's are out or coming out shortly) and ask them for a better deal on the existing 2013's - many shops are already starting to price them down....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can generally pick up a top end bow that's a year old that someone bought and it just didn't work out for them for that price range. Good luck and Welcome!

5. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck! Do your homework, and ask around.

One suggestion could be, get a bow that comes from a reputable manufacturer so you can always get replacement parts (strings, cams, riser, etc.). Hit the pro shop and the classifieds.

Welcome back!

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    cabala's just knocked down the price of alot of last years line up from Bear.
    And as much as I despise D1ck's sporting goods, they have the Outlaw package for 449.
    The charger is a hell of a bow for the money, but a package price ,arrows and a release could put you over your budget.
    Just look for the deals, there out there. Alot of guys are or will be soon, unloading their bows to get the latest and greatest and this leaves some great bows at great prices.
    Try some out,what I thought I wanted turned out not to be what suited me.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  7. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your looking for a super solid bow that shoots smooth and fast that a cheap check out the mission line.My buddy shot the ballistic and said it felt almost identical to my mathews MR7 but 499the instead of 999. Some of the parts on em are not as pretty but it has a lifetime warranty .whatever bow you get i would try to get it from a shop so you will be properly fitted, setup and if u ever have problems you have someone to go to thats a professional.

8. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mission Ballistic!

9. CurtisM

CurtisM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome I am going to have to agree with the others and recommend the Mission Ballistic. Like yourself just got my new bow this year and shot quite a few and the ballistic was for and away the best for the price. Mine came with the full set up (sight,quiver,whisker biscuit, etc) for 650$. That being said all in all just my two cents. Best of luck.

10. Nubster

Nubster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone. I ended up grabbing a 2012 Elite Answer with a QAD Ultra-Rest HD and MBG Ascent 3 pin sight for $600 total. Still need a release and some arrows so I can get shooting but I'm happy with what I've gotten so far. Just can't wait to get out and start punching some holes.

11. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right On! Get shoot in brother.