Setting Yardage Pins

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Goosepond Monster, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I seem to recall a link to an article on here about setting your pins. I've looked through the sticky at the top of this forum, but didn't see the link to the article.

Is the article posted here somewhere or am I mixing it up with something else?

2. Goosepond Monster

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody?

I've searched, but either it isn't there or I am not typing in the right search terms.

3. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What's the problem you're having with setting the pins. Be sure to follow the arrow.

4. Goosepond Monster

Dislikes Received:
    I get that part. I have my twenty set, but need to set the others. I read that it is best to set the thirty first and then do the other pins.

5. Locum51

Locum51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your right, first sight the housing with your top at whatever yards. And after that move just the individual pins below that. Do not mess with the top pin anymore.

6. jlbmarine

jlbmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WOuldn't it make sense to do them in order? you have a 20, go in 10 yard increments after that, most likely to 50, you can do whatever you want.... i'm not sure i'm following your question.......

7. Goosepond Monster

Dislikes Received:
  8. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I generally set my furthest pin first and work my way in, only because my hold is steadiest when I first start shooting. My 15yd pin I can set even if I get a bit tired and my hold is a bit shaky. But really, it just don't matter.

9. CFStinger

CFStinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only way to do it is to start at the top. Your top pin is your short yardage pin. Pace off whatever distance you want your short yardage pin set for (likely shooting distance of your shortest shot hunting stand), then work down your pins from there. Depending on what kind of a bow you are shooting you may only need to set three pins. Depending on what kind of bow and shooting situations, you may have seven pins to sight in. Start at the top from your shortest likely shooting distance and work down through your pins for whatever distance you want. Pin distance is up to the shooter, not up to instructions on some old thread.

10. Trapper50cal

Trapper50cal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Set your 20 first..."aim small, miss small" is similar to "aim close, miss small" it's easier to make a quality, accurate shot at the short distance...therefore you can dial what it's doing in more accurately because there is less variance due to form issues...much easier to set windage properly on an easier shot...much easier to be able to eliminate random variables at a shorter shot. Once 20 is in, windage is done and move on to 30, then 40.

11. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I had pins I did 20 first and then my furthest pin. That made the others much easier.

12. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Setting the 30 first makes sense, because it should help center the ring guard with the peep for easy target acquisition. After that, just move your individual pins.

13. rbennett_rob

rbennett_rob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to bow hunting. I am shooting low, which way do I need to move my pins?

14. bz5119

bz5119 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you're shooting low move the pin down to shoot higher.

15. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Start at the top, setting each pin one at a time. Always remember to "Chase the Arrow"...if it's low, you lower the pin. If it's high, raise the pin up. Seems backwards, but it works ;)

16. Jetdoctor34

Jetdoctor34 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My son (11 YO) is shooting a Mission Craze but at a low draw weight, 25#'s. I have been attempting to set his pins for some time but I am having no luck. He's fairly accurate with using the site housing. So I've abandoned the site D.O.P.E. while he strengthens his draw weight.

My question is, wouldn't it be more important to hold off until he can draw his hunting weight and then set the pins? My reasoning is that for the increased draw weight the pins change? Or am I off the mark (sorry for the pun)?

17. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    have him shoot from 5 to 10 yards until he builds up strength and works on consistency of form don't worry about pins or sighting a bow in until he is shooting like a repetitious machine..
    This is what I did with my wife I didn't even set her sight till she was shooting 30# comfortably she now shoots 45#...

As your son gets stronger and his form and anchor point are consistant then put the sight on and start adjusting but until he is shooting comfortably I would not worry about the sight..

18. Jetdoctor34

Jetdoctor34 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. We'll keep working hard at the fundamentals. He loves shooting and it is great to have something we can both share.