Help! Venison Steaks

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Daryl Bell, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year attempting deer steaks, I was wandering if anyone has any good recipes or tips. Like temperature and how long to cook them! Thanks guys

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    RARE TO MED RARE!!!! other than that you can do anything, BUT IMO less is usually more.....

3. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Almost medium on the grill or just seer the outside, little A-1, a frosty beverage and you see a smile on my face.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Garlic salt, fresh ground pepper, fork each side (fork the seasoning into the meat.)
    Fine chop half a white onion. Take the onion and put into a ziplock Baggie big enough to hold the steak(s). Put steaks inside Baggie. Take one cold can of domestic non-light beer, usually a Budweiser for me. Open can, pour about half into Baggie, then seal and lightly shake to coat all sides of meat w the beer. Finish beer.

Let marinate for at least 3 hours, but not much longer than overnight or it can get chewy. Remove steaks from bag, discard bag and leftover marinate. Have grill preheated and ready to rock on high. Take steaks, pat dry w toilet paper.

>>>important step: just prior to throwing on grill take some good extra virgin olive oil and give quick brush on downside meat for a good quick searing. Throw on grill. Just prior to flipping steak, slide a quick light coat of olive oil on what is now the top of the steak. Take steak and flip. Steak should be served hot and medium rare.

5. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! I'm going to cook some tonight! I'll let y'all know how they turn out!

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    sorry brother; but if you need A1 on anything other than ground meat you're not doing it right.

7. jayell79

jayell79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My favorite is bacon wrapped fillet mignon. With venison you can use the whole tenderloin, instead of just the small end piece in beef. Slice it into 2-3 inch rounds, wrap outside in bacon, and grill.

8. Nickstuff

Nickstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    cast iron skillet, add extra virgin olive oil, seer the bottom side, salt and pepper the top, flip, do the same to that side. Cook to medium well at most,...crack open cold adult beverage and enjoy them as they come out the fire!!!!!
    Dayeem, I'm hungry again,...lol

9. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah!!! ^^^^