Venison Salami?

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Hillbilly Jedi, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have a reasonably easy venison salami recepie? I got my first buck this year and want to do some smoked salami. Any suggestions would be great. I see a lot on the internet but want to some actual input from consumers. Thanks!

2. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been making summer sausage and salami for 10-15 years and will tell you, it is more about the process than what's in it. The meat needs to go thru a 3 day curing process, mixing it everyday to be sure it is cured. Cured meat can be smoked at a low temp and not have the risk of spoilage.
    If your going to stuff small casings, the meat will need to be brought up to room temp before stuffing to make it easier. It is cured so it this will be ok. I also let my stuffed product hang at room temp for 7-10 hours before I smoke it. The one thing I use to give the old school sour flavor is E.C.D. Or encapsulated citric acid. This is what the original German sausages taste like. They used a product called fermento, it was used to make the meat go thru a fermentation process. Directions will come with the ECD, I follow these pretty close. I will smoke mine low, low, low, and slow to raise the internal temp to about 157*. You will want to monitor this the whole time your cooking. The second it reaches 157 not more than 160, I have a big cooler full of ice and a little water to shock or stop the process. Let it cool till the internal temp is 110 or less.
    I have made it with about every combination of beef and pork and different percentages of fat. I prefer 80% deer 20%pork butts.
    On a side note, this is just my way.. There are hundreds of ways to do it. I have a big homemade smoker and don't own a processing business. After all of my "bad" sausage, I learned a few tricks ..)
    Good luck
    Polecat

3. Polecatmasten

Dislikes Received:
  4. Polecatmasten

Dislikes Received:
  5. Polecatmasten

Dislikes Received:
  6. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That all looks amazing. I just learned a few things too. Can you tell me more about your curing process that takes three days?

7. Polecatmasten

Dislikes Received:
    Prague Powder No. 1 is a curing mixture composed of 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% table salt. It's used in making cured meat products like sausages and corned beef.

Prague Powder functions as a food preservative and it also has antimicrobial properties. The pink coloring is added so that it won't be mistaken for ordinary salt.

Prague Powder is responsible for producing the pink color in cured meats such as hot dogs and corned beef. One teaspoon of Prague Powder mixed with cold water will cure about five pounds of meat.

Another special property of Prague Powder is that it prevents the growth of the deadly Clostridium botulinum bacteria, which causes botulism.

Insta cure and Prague powder are the same and can be purchased almost anywhere
    I buy most of my spices from ps seasoning

Mix this with your spices and blend at least once a day for three days

8. Polecatmasten

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.psseasoning.com/
    Most local butcher shops will also have this
    Mortons tender quick is a watered down version of Prague powder

9. devrieshunter

devrieshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Polecatmasten's got it pretty much on spot

10. Polecatmasten

Dislikes Received:
    I should add, the meat needs to be mixed long enough that the protein will breakdown. When it gets sticky like paste, it's good enough. This is very Important if you want good consistently in your final product.

11. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Polecat. I will hang onto this information for sure. I'm hoping mine turns out as good as yours looks. Thanks again!

12. FriscoSpices.com

FriscoSpices.com Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here are the instruction that come with our Salami Seasoning and also for the Encapsulated Citric Acid we offer to our customers.We also offer a 10% discount on all phone orders just mention your a BowHunting.com member.
    GERMAN SALAMI.jpg ENCAPSULATED CITRIC ACID.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014