Have any of Y'all entered a BBQ contest?

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by biscuit, Jul 16, 2014.

1. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife bought me a green egg back in 07 for our anniversary, and I must say that thing is a bad mama jamma. Now I'm no expert when it comes to smoking or grilling, but I've got to say that green egg makes it easy. So we have a contest coming up here in Fayetteville NC soon. I'm gonna drag my green egg out there and go for broke. Does anyone have any, and I mean any expereriance with these types of cook offs. I have to cook a brisket, and meaty ribs. I'm thinking a good brine for the ribs, and and nice dry rub for the brisket.

2. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve thought about entering a small, local cook off a couple of times but something else always comes up. I’ve been to a few big ones and they are serious. Memphis in May is insane. People come in from all over the world to show off their cookers and skills. It really is a sight to see. I used to manage a large BBQ/Sports Bar back in the early-mid 90’s. We got all of our sauces and rubs from John Willingham. He was a virtual who’s who in the world of Bar-B Que. He could tell some stories. When you win Memphis in May and the American Royal on more than one occasion you know you’re the man. Anyway, his dry rub “W’Ham” is the only rub I’ll use to this day. It’s absolutely awesome.
    I love the green egg. My dad has one and it’s very impressive. I really like its versatility. However, if this is a serious cook off, you’re gonna be outclassed by the other cookers these guys are using. You’ll be behind the 8-ball right off the bat. If it’s a small neighborhood thing with a bunch of guys using cookers you can get at Bass Pro Shops or Home Depot, go for it. But if it’s a big deal and you’re gonna have to put out a decent sized entry fee you might want to just go and talk to some of the guys first and decide if you want to join the competition next year. I’m sure the meats you make are delicious. But if this is a serious cook off, like the ones I attended back in the 90’s, your green egg will be laughed off the fairgrounds IMO. And again, I love the green egg.

3. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dude....I have a TON of recepies and a TON of "secret spices" back home.....i love that stuff....i have a kreuger pellet smoker....gimme a day or two to think about it and I can come up with somethin to help you out...

4. NALBowhunter

NALBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with drath concerning Memphis in May, that is some serious BBQ. Lol. Most of those cookers go for 10k plus. My brother in law has a Green Egg cooker and it does a great job, everything I have ate off of it is awesome. Good luck to ya biscuit if you decide to go with it. Let us know how it turns out.