Venison Cube Steaks Braised in Brown Sauce

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Rampaige, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I made this for the guys at the firehouse the other night. It was a huge hit and is by far the best venison dish I've made.

Ingredients:

6 Palm-sized Venison Cube Steaks
    2 Cups Flour
    1 1/2 Cups Dry White Wine
    1 Package of Mushrooms sliced
    2 Shallots finely chopped
    1 stick of butter
    1 cup of whipping cream

Dip cube steaks into flour and ensure sufficient coverage. Melt 1-2 tbs of butter in a skillet. On med-high heat sear each side of the cube steaks (about 1 min each side) and set aside.

Add 2 tbs of butter to the pan and cool the shallots until transparent (about 5-7 min). Then add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Make sure they are moist. A little more butter doesn't hurt.

Once the mushrooms are done, add the wine and simmer them to cook it down so you have about 1/4 cup of liquid. Add the whipping cream and mix thoroughly. Return the cube steaks to the pan with the sauce and cook until done (3 min or so). The flour on the meat will thicken up the sauce nicely.

You can serve these by themselves or over egg noodles, potatoes, rice, whatever.

It kind of came out like stroganoff but a little different. I didn't have sage when I made this but some sage, pepper, a touch of Rosemary might add some better flavor.

Let me know how it goes.