What do you need to make deer jerky

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Turkeysniper511, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got all my deer meat from my deet and never made jerky before what do i need to make it then how do you make it

2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like to use venison roast personally but you can also use steaks or jerky gun if all you have is burger. If you are using the jerky gun then you will be restricted to using a dehydrator. If using the roast or steaks, cut it into thin slices when it's still parcially frozen so it doesn't move on you when trying to cut it. Once all pieces are cut, find a recipe that you like and marinade them covered in the fridge (I like to marinade for 24 hours). Then put them in the dehydrator or use metal skewers and hang them on the lowest temp on the rack in the oven with a drip catch on the bottom (also prop the oven door open). I have a family secret recipe but most recipes that I have seen use a combination that includes worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Also plain teriyaki works. It really depends on the flavor you are looking for.

The amount of time needed in the dehydrator depends on what settings it has but in my experience it typically takes between 4-8 hours, which also depends on how dry you want the jerky to be. In the oven it really depends on how low you can set the temperature but it can be anywhere from 2-4 hours.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  3. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do my Jerky in a smoker I have done a marinade and a dry rub the one I like the best is a dry rub from Gander Mountain something like western states seasoning comes in a kit it will say up to 15 lbs but will really do 12 lbs or so. I will also cut some a little thicker and it will be a nice change vs the ¼” slices I leave it in the fridge after putting on the rub at least two days and smoke it dry about 2 or 3 hours using oak or hickory chunks or chips get the smoke going then shoot for 180 /200 degrees

4. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So cut the meat in strips, marinate them for 24 hours and just put them in the dehydrator.
    I want my jerky to be not so tough that i cant even chew it but not to soft like in the middle so how long would it need to stay in the dehydrator for?

5. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I make my cuts roughly 1/8 thick an dehydrate for right around the 9 1/2 hour mark.

6. CILhunter

CILhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very tough to say. Depends on too many factors. It usually takes me 6-12 hours depending on the humidity, thickness of the meat, etc. When you can take a piece and bend it in half, and it starts to crack a little along the grain of the meat in the middle, then you are just about done. Make sure to pull it before it snaps in half when you bend it. Made that mistake before. I smoke mine with apple wood or hickory, then finish it on some furnace filters, stacked and bungee corded to a big box fan. I call it my Redneck dehydrator.

7. FriscoSpices.com

FriscoSpices.com Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just posted a thread for free supplies, maybe if you have not got your seasonings yet you can respond to that thread and get some free stuff to try out.