Kitchen aid/Bosh mixer Meat Grinders

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by fatamos33, Jan 11, 2016.

1. fatamos33

fatamos33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone has used their kitchen aid or bosh mixer as a meat grinder? If so are they good or would it be better to spend the money on an actual meat grinder? Im looking to use it for grinding up deer (probably 3 a year) elk( maybe one a year doubtful on more than that), possibly dabbling into grinding up other animals(coyote, beaver, maybe bobcat and cougar) for pepperoni. What advice can you give me.
    Thanks in advance.

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used the kitchen aid this year...it works but you can expect to disassemble it a couple times to clean out sinew or silverskin that will inevitably jam up or slow down the auger or blade. Though the clean up/out was a necessary step we used to run into even when I worked in restaurants with a big Hobart (an industrial grinder).

The Kitchen Aid feed tube will force you to use pieces about 1.25" wide though there really isn't a max length. A couple people can make the operation more efficient.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One other bit of advice for Salumi or burger you'll want to add any fat as you grind and then you'll likely want to grind it a second time (more to make sure it's evenly blended).

4. MNbernie

MNbernie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used my kitchen aid this year to grind up 2 deer and it work great ... I did cube it fairly small to get it to fit. I did not have an issue with it getting bound up , but I do take the extra time to trim off as mush sinew and silver skin as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have the Bosch and while it is a great asset in the kitchen we tried it one year to make burger and we decided to keep it in regular kitchen service and get a dedicated meat grinder.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

6. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used a kitchen aid before. It worked, but I bought a relatively cheap grinder from gander mountain that does the work in half the time are much less hassle.

7. sethallphin

sethallphin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest buying a cheap grinder. Got mine for just under a hundred and it works like a charm. Also when you add fat make sure you add beef or hog and not deer fat. Deer fat doesn't taste too good. Welcome.

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When grinding venison burger I highly recommend using 5% BACON!!!!!!!

MMMMMMMMMMM bacon burgers!

9. g4hunter

g4hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I smoked my wife's Kitchenaid this year. Need to replace a worm gear apparently. I grind a fair amount of meat with it, but didn't expect that. Google seems to indicate that it is not uncommon. I guess it's designed to fail. I was stuffing large chunks that were not semi frozen through it. I recommend keeping it smaller and semi frozen.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

10. g4hunter

g4hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wait, did you say bobcat and cougar?? Really? I'm not sure I'd consider eating feline. Beaver on the other hand....

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

11. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have a kitchen aid mixer and after reading a lot of reviews online we opted not to get the grinder and sausage stuffer attachments. I'm sure they work well for what they are, but we usually take 3 deer a year and quite a bit of ducks and geese. I feel like that's a lot of work for a small grinder. Someday when I've got the space for and am not traveling so much I hope to have a nice stand alone cabelas grinder and stuffer setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk