Deer jerky advice

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by deertraks, Sep 15, 2015.

1. deertraks

deertraks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I need some opinions on cutting vension for jerky. I would like to use a meat slicer to get consistent cuts each time but it seems the meat want to roll up in the slicer. I have read where you need to put it in the freezer until it becomes slighty frozen to make it slice better. I haven't tried this so I'm asking for opinions and suggestions.

2. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cutting it with a little ice on it definitely helps. I've never tried a meat slicer for my jerky, just always did it by hand. It wasn't as pretty but it tasted the same lol

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Semi frozen is how the local butchers here cut steaks for deer. It does help. I generally lay it on its side and use a thin cedar board used for grilling salmon to hold it in place on cutting board and slice with a big fillet knife. Several people I know just grind the meat and use jerky guns. I like solid cuts better myself.

4. rangerFGM

rangerFGM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a cheap meat slicer from Cabelas all the time and cut it @ 1/4 inch thickness .... just made a batch this weekend .... cut it cold out of the fridge not frozen and use the same 2 pieces of meat from the rear leg all the time ..... its the piece with the grain that goes @ a 45 degree angle and for jerky I cut with the grain .....