Deer Camp Favorite Wildrice soup with beer and cheese.

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Sota, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I first made this recipe it was attributed to Paul Harvey. May be dating myself but I loved to listen to Paul Harvey do the news on AM radio. Anyway I probably need to break down how I do it vs the recipe I base it on. I added to the recipe when we raised meat birds, big cornish cross, I started the soup as I was cleaning up the cuts, I boiled down backs and breast bones and collected the scraps and the stock for the base added with the meat. This year I added turkey instead because we did not butcher. Either way take chicken parts or a big turkey breast and cook it in a roaster or a crock pot, cook it till you can pull it easily and trim it. Filter the stock and skim the fat. Throw the stock and meat in a big bowl and let it sit.

The Rice
    I prefer to use cracked wild rice vs the whole grain. Buy a whole bag and prepare it all I use an oven baked recipe made in a casarol dish using chicken stock but make it how ever and set it aside to add later.

The base
    Big pot add a stick of butter 1 medium onion I prefer a vadallia diced a couple packs of sliced mushrooms cook it till onions are clear and mushrooms are kinda cooked. You can add diced carrots at this point simmer at medium add 1 can of cream of chicken and 1 can of cream of mushroom mix it in. soon as it simmers add a large carton of 1/2 and 1/2 stir till simmer add a brick of cubed velvetta, when that melts add 2 bottles of beer, no lite beer allowed. I prefer linnies original, add the wild rice and meat with stock until simmering it's done.

Yeah no calories in it at all but dang it is good and will feed a bunch.

Forgot to mention about the beer making the soup is a drawn out process the recipe calls for two beers in the soup but the soup is done when the beer is gone, I like to let the soup slow simmer to thicken up and that takes a few beers.

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Holy hell I know what I am doing Saturday! Thanks Sota

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not starting a diet for sure.