Brine

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by BigPhil_H, Nov 8, 2015.

1. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tell me a little about brine. I picked up 'The Briner' at Cabelas tonight and just looked up a pretty simple homemade brine consisting of 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar and a gallon of water. How does brine affect the meat? Can I add other stuff to the brine like black pepper or even some vinegar, carrots, onions etc? Will that affect how it tastes? What's your favorite way to brine meat?

2. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    I put a whole chicken in last night and forgot to take it out this morning to let dry and wont return home until tonight, making it almost 24 hours in the brine. Can you brine too long?

3. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Work ended up being called off this afternoon due to rain. I took the chicken out of the brine about 12:30, let it sit until 3 and threw it on the smoker until 5. It turned out fantastic; the most moist chicken I have ever had. I used Cabelas Blackened seasoning...wow. I recommend.

4. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds easy and great. With thanksgiving coming up i gotta figure out what I'm trying for a turkey this year. I've just seasoned and smoked with different seasonings over the years but thinking of injection and brining this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. FriscoSpices.com

FriscoSpices.com Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We have some different brines and rubs for all kinds of meats. Feel free to give us a call with any questions. Ask for Mike or Ben 800 762 6689
    I recently dry cured a venison roast and smoked until 160 internal temp then placed in refrigerator for 3 weeks wrapped in news paper to dry. It turned out excellent sliced very thin just like dried beef without the 36 hour cooking times.