Best venison tenderloin/backstrap recipe

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Logman, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for new recipes for my tenderloin. Please post your favorite/best recipe for me! Thanks

2. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Normally cut it in one inch squares , soak it in Italian dressing over night. Wrap it in bacon run a toothpick thru it and grill. I do the same thing with my turkey breast.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

3. AstroAngler

AstroAngler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here's mine.
    [video=youtube_share;QMVZsdKu-sE]http://youtu.be/QMVZsdKu-sE[/video]

4. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont have a grill so I use the kitchen stove.

Take your slices of backstrap place them on paper towel and dab both sides dry. Once they are dry, sprinkle a good amount of black pepper, salt, and garlic powder on both sides of the meat, Take a pan and add a splash of vegetable oil and place on the stove on medium high heat. Once the oil is heated up to a good extent, place the meat on the pan and take a spatula and add pressure causing the pan to sear the meat. Let the meat cook for about 3-5 minutes (varies on thickness of the meat) and then flip and sear that side and let cook for about 3-5 minutes. Once done cooking remove from the stove. It also tastes good with a splash of worcestershire on top of the meat.

short69 likes this.
  5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Step 1 - Grill meat to medium rare
    Step 2 - Fry up a good amount of onions with butter
    Step 3 - Eat

stikbow26 and charleshibner92 like this.
  6. CRABCLAW

CRABCLAW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put mine in a mixture of flour, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Fry them in butter and put a little soy sauce on them while they are frying. We just cooked up my Sons Deer back straps and tenderloins last night, and now my mouth is watering again.lol

7. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to always grill them medium rare wrapped in bacon, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I still love this method, but I found a new method I really like, and plan on making a lot of as the weather turns cooler and I start to crave comfort food.

It's essentially like making chicken fried steak, only instead of beef, I'll pound the veni loin medallions until theyre about a half inch thick, egg wash, flour, fry in bacon grease. I make gravy from the drippings and serve with some kind of greens and mashed potato.

StanfillKY and Creeks like this.
  8. MNbernie

MNbernie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll take about 1/3 of the backstrap cover it with my house made rub wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Next day I throw it in the smoker until it gets to about 140 internal temp. Some scalloped potatoes and beer bread with that doesn't get much better. We never have leftovers.

Creeks likes this.
  9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Andria's marinade overnight. Wrap in bacon. Grill rare to med. rare.

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    forgot they probably only sell andria's locally. You can order it online though. You wont regret it. Just google Andrias steak sauce

11. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Resurrecting this as my season opens up October 1st and I'm in the mood to cook up some tenderloin! Post your best recipes.

12. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First, I cut the back straps for about 1/4ths to 2/5ths in thickness. Dry marinade of: salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and jelopeno salt ( no this isn't a spicy venison dish). Put the meat in the frig, every few hours, go and shake the meat. 24 hours later pull the meat out. Coat a piece of meat with some oil. Throw the piece of oil coated meat in a biggie with crushed up ritz crackers. Coat them with as much or with as little of the ritz crackers as you like. Back in the oven at 375-400 for 15-20 minutes ( time and temp changes with how thick the meat is.
    Serve with mashed potatoes and whatever veggies you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do a quick and easy, slice into 1/4" medallions coat the meat with buttermilk infused olive oil, season both sides and let it sit in the fridge while you light the charcoal. I throw a cast iron griddle on the grill and throw the meat on. As soon as blood starts pooling on the top of the medallions flip them, again as soon as blood pools again pull the meat off the heat and let the meat rest on the plate for 5 minutes. Tender and cooked perfectly to no more than medium rare.

14. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on the occasion. For party/finger food:
    Slice to 1/4" or slightly thicker medallions and marinate with Allegro marinade. Spread on a fairly generous portion of Cream Cheese and slap on a few slices of jalapeno peppers. Roll it up, wrap it in bacon, and slip a tooth pick in it. Grill till the bacon is done.

For a meal.
    Slice thick, wrap in bacon, grill to med rare and top with garlic herb butter (butter, garlic, dill weed).

-D

15. Rjbyrd83

Rjbyrd83 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Marinated in soy sauce brown sugar garlic and ginger over night. Wrap in bacon and smoke at 225-250 to an internal temp of 140-150. Awesomeness

16. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hot cast iron.Little Oil, Salt pepper. Cook rare.

dnoodles and Hogs need lovin too like this.
  17. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put a table spoon of salt, pepper, minzed garlic, a bottle of marinade (your choice) I like maple or hickory and 1/2 can of sprite, 7-up or any kind of citrus soda in a gallon size zip lock. Shake well and store overnight. The citrus acid in the soad breaks down the meat and makes it extremely tender. Then grill to med or med-rare. You can cut with a fork. Its amazing....

Logman likes this.
  18. Jmnhunter

Jmnhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    look up anything by hank shaw, but a simple way is to bring your loin onto your kitchen counter, salt/pepper generously, let sit for 30 min, grill to a medium rare, let rest about 10 min and it'll reach more of a medium

19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry, but you guys throwing soy, Worcestershire, A1, etc on a perfectly tender, succulent, already flavorful lean piece of meat makes me wanna slap your mommas. Acidic marinates are for tough meat. You're talking the filet mignon of deer. Might as well boil it.

put some garlic salt, onion salt, cracked black pepper on the loin, and fork it in just a bit. Put the seasoned loin and half a cheap beer in a container (I usually use a ziploc bag) for about 30-60 mins. Take it out, pat dry w/ paper towels, and give it a quick brush with olive oil or butter and throw it on a red hot grill (or cast iron.) Cover with a bit of a vent, wait a few minutes depending on thickness, and as soon as it is loose from the grates give the top side a coat of oil and flip it over. Sear that side until it's loose from the surface, remove it from the heat and let it rest for about 5 minutes- should be rare/medium rare. Slice and prepare to be blown away.

alternate to butter and oil- bacon grease. I don't wrap it in bacon b/c you don't get an even sear.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Invisible man likes this.
  20. HOGSJL

HOGSJL Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll add mine a little late to the party.

LaRue "Dillo Dust"
    Adobo
    Olive oil
    Soy sauce
    Worceshire sauce

Grilled med rare