"October Lull" thoughts on it?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by alfarah50, Oct 11, 2016.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    4 hours in the AM, 4 in the PM and not a single deer that I seen. I've had sits like this before obviously but what are your guys' thoughts on the October Lull? Bullspit or do ya agree? I hunt northeast PA weather hasn't been as cold as I would like. Contemplating letting sets sit untouched for the next 2 weeks. What do ya guys think?

2. spartanhuntr

spartanhuntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I personally think it is bull spit. I just read a couple of articles and the studies done with collars came to that result too. I think the heat (I am from Michigan) does play a factor. We had a 70 degree day last Friday. Very slow in the stand. Hell, I am sleepy when I is warm too. Ha. Saturday a cold front and wind came up and I had 11 deer sightings and my hunting buddy 19 on my 80 acres.

I am going again this weekend. I have never seen a deer in my house so even if there is truth to it, my odds are still immeasurably better in my stand than on my couch.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They are somewhere...they don't disappear or stop living....deer naturally get up every 3 to 4 hours no matter what to eat a little maybe drink and bed back down. Finding them or the inability of it makes people think lull is real.

Depending on the stand location and situation you are hunting not seeing deer or very few is expected

4. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I believe in it kind of. The deer don't stop moving or become nocturnal purely based on the fact that it's mid-October. From what I have seen this time of year deer seem to feed predominately on mast and green this time of year. Most hunters hunt stands this time of year on field edges and I think that's why they see less movement. I've had much success on hunting acorns, turning and falling maple leaves, etc a little deeper in the woods. I really think that unless it's super cold, corn and bean fields will produce less than the aforementioned. I will also say that unless its significantly colder than avg for the year I usually pass on morning hunts as I can't seem to beat the deer to bed often and usually do more damage than anything else. I do also think that in heavy hunted areas some deer may change patterns this time of year as well.

5. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The "october lull" usually refers to the lack of daytime buck movement before the rut ramps up. The "lull" is influenced by weather, hunting pressure, and crop harvest in my opinion. Warm weather, high hunting pressure, and deer displacement due to crop food/habitat being harvested can cause deer to hunker down and limit their movement to nighttime. Once the does come into esturous, all caution is thrown to the wind and daytime action will resume. I'm no expert, but these are my observations based on the use trail cameras and time spent in the stand.

6. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The lull is a myth in my mind.. What I think happens is feed patterns change and onslaught of hunting pressure cause them to change there normal movement pattern. . They still move but use different food sources (greens and acorns in most cases) and travel lanes. Gotta move with them. The so called lull is my favorite time to try and hunt as close as possible to buck bedding areas.. Doesn't always work but it helps me

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can't believe in moon phases or the Lull it is one or the other.:biggrin:

8. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    What??? Did you mis-phrase that sentence? or and????

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well just pointing out all the "theories" on deer movement or the lack of deer movement. The October lull? Deer do not fast they eat and drink and move no matter the month, same thing deer move eat and feed no matter the moon phase. October is the prep month for winter deer are looking for food and will move to different locations seeming to disappear when they have changed travel routs to different food that is available.

10. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only believe in the "when I'm in a stand" lull.

I've been seeing a lot more deer at the field edges on my nightly drive home from work the last couple weeks.

11. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everything you say Sota.. Moon phase does affect the ability to feed more efficiently when full though..... IMO

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Unless it is cloudy.

13. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    :rock: -- Here is another theory for you ... the gravitational pull of the moon during the rut helps a bucks keep it up during the rut :poke: Sorry about the hijacked post to the OP.... Sota is just such sport!

14. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can eat a pizza just as efficiently no matter the moon phase...

15. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've sat in 7 different stand locations so far and I've seen deer at each one, two bucks at one and three at another, the rest does here in central Va. So you know what I believe.

16. PolarBoy

PolarBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Don't believe it. But I do believe deer get easier to see as the leaves fall and undergrowth fades. Even if I they are out of bow range, just seeing deer makes it a successful hunt in my book.

17. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think there is a daily lull.

18. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "October Lull" thoughts on it?

I don't get it ! If there is such a thing, it's not here, I saw 4 tonight, my buddy 100 yds away, saw 6 and killed one. It's 3/4 full moon and it's as good if not better for sightings. Buncha BS

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  19. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With the deer's specialized night vision they are able to feed just fine as well as haulin'*** through the woods.

20. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Of course there is an October lull. Why else wouldn't I kill a buck in the middle of October? :tu: