Trail Cam rookie questions!!

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by vectrix27, Feb 12, 2013.

1. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everybody. Ive finally acquired some private land to hunt for next season. Ive got into a pretty big lease with some other guys. Its 2900acres and I want to start running some cams. Ive never owned a trail camera and there is so many out there that im confused. I cant afford any real high dollar ones. How many do I need? Whats affordable that you all recommend? Infared or not? When should I start putting them out? And whatever other advice do you got? Thanks a lot.

2. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Covert.

No real set number of cams to have. Just what ever is with in your budget. People run cams all year round.

3. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Run them all year, put out minerals or attractant if legal in your state. You can't go wrong with a moultrie for the price and coverts are supposed to be the cats pajamas from what I hear. Rule of thumb from my standpoint is buy as many as you can afford!

4. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    X2
    i run my 2 moultrie all year around

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Minerals or some other attractants will definately help you to inventory the dear in your area. As far as numbers, I've always heard 1 camera per 10-15 acres but I don't think that's a very good rule. I mean afterall the dear don't use every square inch of any property. Two things to avoid, intruding into bedding areas and over checking your cams. As far as white-flash or infrared, I don't think it matters to most deer. In my time of using cams, which is more than 20 years, I have deer stand and stare at the IR cams just as much as the white-flash. I'd also stay away from the extremely cheap cams. You can get a decent one or sometimes go through three or four before you find one that works. As far as a brand recommendation, I would go with the Coverts, newer Moultries, or Bushnell. All can be had for less than $200 each and are very reliable. I would avoid the Wildviews, Wildgame Innovations, and the Tascos.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

6. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Covert , I own one an its one amazing little cam. An as stated before, the more the better. If ya wait a month all the new 2013 models will be coming out!

7. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know some folks don't like them, but I think that the Primos Truth Cam line provides good quality for the price you pay.

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For the money...you cannot beat the Covert Mp6. I know they are coming out with a new version this year as well for around $100. Id pick up 2-3 if i was in your shoes, the more the merrier, 2900 acres is a BIG chunk.

In the spring, minerals are the way to go...

[​IMG]

Summer...fields...

[​IMG]

Fall...scrapes....

[​IMG]

And if all else fails just plop out a feeder or a pile of corn...

[​IMG]

Its really that simple. Buy some 2GB SD memory cards, keep your scent a minimum and check them every 2-3 weeks or longer if possible.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  9. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let the addiction begin !!

10. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't believe everything you read/see on the internet:
    fall 2012 trl cam 080.jpg
    looks pretty good to me.
    Bonjour ;-)

11. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While that is a nice pic from a WGI cam, my experience is that for every one good pic, I have 387 that absolutely suck. The good pics come only in the daytime, and only when it's not too hot, not cold, but just right. New batteries are a must and it can't be during sunrise or sunset or you get whiteouts. This is just my experience with WGI

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely Coverts for me from here on out. Things have unbeatable performance for their price tags. Battery life is crazy as well!

13. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have said its hard to beat DLC Coverts. I'll be getting 4-5 more come March. As far as when to put them out I run mine year round just starting to put the Monster Raxx out now. Be warned if you go the Raxx route your gonna have to get more than a 2 gb SD card:D

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

14. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use 3 moultrie. I have never had any issues and for the money the quality is great.

15. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 coverts and 5 Primos cams, ill be buying more covert cams in the very near future. I use 8gb cards mostly, and check them once a week normally.

16. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more. If someone that has been on the site awhile and is active in the trail camera forums says something like this I (personally) would listen. If Walmart sells them you don't want them. Remember you get what you pay for. But I am a bit biased and loyal to a certain brand :D

As far as the how many on 2900 acres That is scary for a guy like me that has about 50 on 800 acres :lol:

17. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And a slower than pond water trigger speed.

18. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea the fun starts now...the more cameras you have the better I have four and I always want more

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

19. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On our two leases that total close to 3000 acres we run around 50 to 60 cameras between all the members. We still shoot or see bucks that have eluded our cameras. Coverts are great cameras and your getting better quality pictures than the higher priced cameras at a much lower cost. Get a couple of the 2013 Covert MP-E5 cameras that are priced around $110. Perfect price for a hunter on a budget. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

20. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I can already see where this could get addicting. I will look into the Coverts. That name brand seemed to be popular in most of your comments. I obviously cant afford a bunch of them, but I will get as many as i can and put them in the best looking spots i can find. Thanks again!!