Any LCD Built-In Viewing Screens Around?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Fiddler, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Fiddler

Fiddler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everybody! First post.
    I just bought my first trail camera, a Stealth G30 a few days ago. My neighbor has seen how much fun I'm having with it, and decided he wants a trailcam of his own.
    However, he doesn't like the idea of having to plug it into a computer or a viewer to see what images have been captured. He insists on finding a camera with a built-in viewing screen. We've been googling all over the internet and we're having trouble finding such cameras.
    Why aren't these types more popular? Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    welcome!

I know that Moultrie use to make a camera with a LCD screen on it, but not sure if they still are.

You can also look into getting a view screen, kinda like a tablet, or just use a digital camera to view the photos.

Good Luck

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Quite a few cameras have built in screens but they are tiny. You can tell if it's a deer or not but that's about it and I guarantee he wont be happy with that route.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LCD screen equipped cams are a waste of time and money. The integrated screen just boosts the cost of the camera and they are too small to see squat on them. Coverts have the LCD screen, several others have them too, personally I'm always bummed to see a company add them into new cameras. I'd prefer them to just up the quality of the other components and forget the integrated screens, it's not like I'm going to stand around in the cold and click through 3000 pics (at each camera) standing in front of the cameras out in the field anyway, I'll pull the cards, take them home, plug them in the PC or the laptop and sit in the comfort of the office to go through them.

5. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    X2...............

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are several camera out there with viewing screens but as already stated, they are really not worth the extra expense. Secondly, there is nothing worse than standing out there trying to look at a tiny screen while swatting mosquitoes and every other biting thing. And it's just about as bad in the cold. Your much better off with a tablet or good card reader. You get two cards for each camera and just swap them out and wait till you're in a more comfortable setting to view them.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

7. Fiddler

Fiddler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies. I showed this thread to my neighbor, but it didn't change his mind. Oh well!

8. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just tell him to get an extra SD card and swap them. No need to plug the camera into your computer. As others have said, it is pretty hard to see on the small camera LCD's.

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    The only practical use I've seen for the screen cams is that you can see on there how you have the camera pointed and what's in frame. However the deer don't give a chit and they are going to come in out of frame part of the time anyway, lol.

Oh well, it's his money, if he wants to waste some of it on a camera with a screen then at least we gave him direction, lol. Coverts are generally good cameras anyway if he goes that route but I will say he'll regret that he could have bought two cameras for the price of some of the top tier ones with a screen. After he runs one for a bit, he'll wish he had two.

10. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will actually argue that Covert cameras are very reasonably priced in regards to the quality that they offer, even with the LCD. I am yet to find a camera with (or without an LCD) that matches the quality, price point, trigger speed, customer service, etc...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not to turn this into a which camera is better thread but I would take my G series cameras over my mp8 black any day. Haven't had to deal with stealth cam CS yet though so that's always a big factor (although good thing I haven't).

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Which is why I mentioned Covert.
    But my point is still a valid one. Go look on Amazon, in the search criteria click on Covert and then search any MP camera you want then search all in the same MP range. Coverts consistently range considerably higher in price than other cameras. Then the Exodus cams with a lot better warranty for about an extra $25 compared to Coverts similar model.

I agree with Greatwhite as well on the Mp8 Black.

13. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Covert Outlook has the biggest viewing screen of anything in their line up.

I am on both sides of the viewing screen debate though.

14. Fiddler

Fiddler Newb

Dislikes Received:
  15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I've looked at it a few times on Amazon as well as another that is the same camera listed as a different name and it has one review with sample pics. The pics on it look fine...no reviews on the one you linked to. Let us know how it works out.

16. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That, and a whole lotta other items are available though an app called "wish." All of their stuff comes directly from China and it takes a long time to receive it. I can't speak for the quality of the items but I would imagine it is probably similar to a brand sold here but a different name. I hope it works out for your buddy.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

17. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is a horrible camera. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I would sooner recommend a Wildgame Innovations over that that manufactuer....

18. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't agree more. For the dollar, it's the best cam I've seen on the market. They don't miss much, almost to a fault. I'll have a pic with nothing in it, and the very next pic (15 sec) has a deer in it. Unmatched battery life.

19. NA Cammer

NA Cammer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you get what you pay for in trail cameras. Most importantly find yourself a company with unmatched customer service. trail cameras are high tech electronics that are left in the elements for months on end, they will develop issues at some point, my money goes to the company that stands behind their products. try getting help with that camera your neighbor bought! try getting some of the bigger name companies to help you out after the warranty is expired.

20. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. Might as well trash it.