Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are the first wood arrows that I've ever made up. They are Sitka Spruce and I stained them dark walnut. You can still see the grain through them and they look pretty nice so far. I used gasket lacquer to dip them with and it was really easy and they turned out nice and slick. I started hand cresting them since I don't have a cresting machine, but my wife stopped me and told me to wait since my birthday is this weekend. She pretty much told me I was getting a cresting machine, so I'm at a standstill until I get it set up. In the meantime, I've been shooting some other wood arrows that I have, as well as some carbons. They both fly well out of the widow and my shooting is getting better every day. I still have a lot of practice to do, but am confident that I will be able to ethically shoot deer at 20 yards this fall.
    Likes Jeepwillys liked this post

2012 200 POINT CLUB (210 1/8)
    2014 SHED CONTEST CHAMPS-TEAM 4
    2014 TURKEY CONTEST CHAMPS-TEAM 11

Post Thanks / Like
    Have fun..

oh yeah... happy birthday

chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet. Nice right up. Interesting thoughts.

Sometimes, you have to burn a few bridges....... to keep crazy from following you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get really fired up about it every year thru the winter and spring. I shoot daily and get good enough to hunt. Then summer comes and I work 80-100 hours a week and loose it all. It's like starting over every year. I've really improved this year when in got new limbs with lighter weight (47lbs). It has actually helped my compound shooting with improving my form.
    TEAM 23 BUCK LIVES MATTER

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyg View Post
    I get really fired up about it every year thru the winter and spring. I shoot daily and get good enough to hunt. Then summer comes and I work 80-100 hours a week and loose it all. It's like starting over every year. I've really improved this year when in got new limbs with lighter weight (47lbs). It has actually helped my compound shooting with improving my form.
    When I first got a recurve a few years back, I suffered from target panic pretty badly with my compound at the time. Shooting that recurve helped me quite a bit with my compound shooting because it allowed me to just draw back and shoot. I wasn't concentrating on holding a pin and locking up. After shooting the recurve for a little while I was able to go back to shooting my compound without target panic. I think it helped my form as well. You can get by with a few mistakes on form with a compound, but a recurve will show you all the flaws in your form pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much same thing for me
    TEAM 23 BUCK LIVES MATTER

Post Thanks / Like
    I have really been considering it. I shoot every day at least a few arrows but over the past little while I've been shooting my recurve twice as much as the compound. I don't know if I can put the compound down for good just yet but over the winter I will practise lots shooting the trad bow in the basement where I can shoot about 13 yards which is not bad. I really just want to work on my form. I'm also in the market for a new bow. I think I'm going to spend the coin on a black widow PMA II. It's a beautiful looking take down recurve.

As I got it planned out in my head, I will finish off this season with the compound, and I got a Muley doe draw that I will bust out the recurve for in January. Shoot the trad bow all winter and try to get a black bear once I can shoot great out to 20-25 yards. I'm excited already!!
    Likes JakeD liked this post

Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT Turbo
    Spot Hogg Hogg Father Single Pin
    QAD HDX Ultra Rest
    Tight Spot Quiver
    B-Stinger Sport Hunter Xtreme 10"
    Easton 5mm Full Metal Jackets 340
    Slick Trick Magnums 125

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seriously thought about but I barely practice enough with my compound as it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never stopped using a recurve but use a compound to hunt at times. My fishing bow setup is a takedown recurve. Shooting a bow without training wheels will point out any flaws in form and greatly improve your compound performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just thought that I'd put this in here. This is my first trad deer. It was nice to see what my setup can do. It erased any doubts about penetration issues. I don't see me ever switching back to a compound.

Likes b_walte15 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    After this season closes I'm going to pickup a bear Montana. Wether or not I hunt with it next year I don't know.
    There's just something about the idea of it that pulls me in.
    It's like hunting with grandpa's gun or using a Hawkins you built yourself.
    Strother Wrath SHO
    6O#
    29"

Post Thanks / Like
    I made the switch completely to traditional bows in 2015. Sold my compounds. I hunt with a '69 Bear Super Mag (48" recurve) and shoot 3D with it and my 70" 21st Century Longbow and I also shoot 3 Osage selfbows (one of which I personally made last Spring). No turning back for me. I didn't start shooting or hunting until Oct 2013. Better late than never. I'll be 64 this year. Marsha

Marsha
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
    Philippians 4:13

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to completely commit to traditional gear for several years, but I kept the compound around "just in case". I haven't killed any big game animals with my recurve yet, but I didn't kill any with the compound either. Once I sold the compound, I felt like a burden had been lifted and I could fully devote my time to learning to shoot the recurve. Just having the wheelie bow around gave me doubts about it. I had a recurve as a kid, but I was never any good with it. It took me a few years to get proficient enough to hunt with it, and I'm still looking to connect on my first but I know that time will come. My kids shoot trad bows too and it's a lot of fun for us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2