Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaldahl2000 View Post
    In my algebra classes I always make the students calculate the difference in cost between paying cash and using credit. The most expensive method of charging interest is to compound it continuously. Then I have the students make the calculation the way the credit card companies do with a 23% interest rate, and it is only pennies cheaper.

Unfortunately, most of us get our values and habits from our parents, so if they don't work in concert with the schools it goes in one ear and out the other.
    The class room concept you are teaching is absolutely correct if you are assuming a balance is revolving month to month. But for me it is actually more expensive to pay cash for items rather than use my credit cards which have earned me considerable reward values in the form of cash, hotel discounts and airline miles. Since I always pay my monthly CC balance in full it's basically an interest free 20-50 day loan depending on transaction/payment dates.
    Likes elkguide liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter/MN View Post
    The class room concept you are teaching is absolutely correct if you are assuming a balance is revolving month to month. But for me it is actually more expensive to pay cash for items rather than use my credit cards which have earned me considerable reward values in the form of cash, hotel discounts and airline miles. Since I always pay my monthly CC balance in full it's basically an interest free 20-50 day loan depending on transaction/payment dates.
    You are very correct, but people who can only get credit at 23% (aka new college grads) usually don't have the cash or discipline to do that. Learning to manage debt and credit is critical.
    Anti-Trump Snowflake. Just remember that next time you hike over a glacial moraine, it was put there by a bunch of snowflakes that got together and all moved in the same direction.

Is it wrong to criticize the president again, now that we have a Republican in the White House?

Post Thanks / Like
    You are very correct, but people who can only get credit at 23% (aka new college grads) usually don't have the cash or discipline to do that. Learning to manage debt and credit is critical.
    Agreed.
    Likes Afflicted liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Me and a couple buddies took a typing class in high school to meet girls, turns out that was the most useful class for life that I took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ten things I'm gonna do to quit procrastinating

Post Thanks / Like
    MN_Jay, I could never convince my computer applications students of that, or that not looking at the keyboard might slow them down at first, but it would eventually make them faster. The kids who always had to look topped out at about 20 words a minute, while everyone else would be at about 35 to 40 by the end of the semester, and then get better from there.
    Likes MN_Jay liked this post

Anti-Trump Snowflake. Just remember that next time you hike over a glacial moraine, it was put there by a bunch of snowflakes that got together and all moved in the same direction.

Is it wrong to criticize the president again, now that we have a Republican in the White House?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Afflicted View Post
    WhatThings You Wish You Learned In School

To many people running their own. businesses?

That's a bad thing?

What I see is to many people doing nothing because they feel the work is beneath them. Huge industry in America trying to help businesses find workers.

If you can't work for others then work for yourself. And I think it would of been to have touched on entrepreneurship in school.
    Not saying there are too many people running their own business(es); I was making the point that too many would-be employees THINK they know how to run the business better and don't want to pay their dues and LEARN. I'm in total agreement with the underlined in your post.

Good help is hard to find.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I would have actually completed a second language like Spanish in school. Being bilingual is a huge advantage in the workplace today.

I also wish I would have gone away to college instead of staying close to home.

BowTech Expierience, Goldtip XTHunter arrows, and Rage chisel tip broadheads

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dnoodles View Post
    Basic civics.
    I learned them; but I'm 40 and pretty sure I was the last generation to do so. They flat out are not taught anymore. These idiot androgynous dweebs protesting about how democracy was hijacked are the most ill-informed twerps I've ever seen in my life.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so"
    - Ronald Regan
    Actor, Governor of California, 40th President of the United States, Founder of the KKK
    I'm not sure where Regan's quote came from but the accomplishment of "Founder of the KKK" is a bit disturbing considering the KKK were founded shortly after the Civil War.
    U.S Army Vet 1991-1996

2016 Bowtech BTX-28
    QAD HDX, Trophy Ridge React, GT XT Hunter, Tight Spot Quiver, Bee Stinger, Tru Fire Extreme, Nocturnal (blue), NAP Killzone, G5 Montec CS

2016 - Team 23 "Buck Brothers"
    2015 - Team 9 "Antler Outlaws"
    2014 - Team 11 "Compound Mafia"

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish there were classes for "Life sucks sometimes, wear a helmet" and "Not everyone gets a trophy". I try to remind my girls, 6th & 8th grade, you need to earn what you get from grades to cloths and all the things they have. Additionally I think college tends to indirectly teach students they earned something more than a diploma by finishing college. The diploma doesn't earn you a job or get you a managerial position because you think you're smart.
    U.S Army Vet 1991-1996

2016 Bowtech BTX-28
    QAD HDX, Trophy Ridge React, GT XT Hunter, Tight Spot Quiver, Bee Stinger, Tru Fire Extreme, Nocturnal (blue), NAP Killzone, G5 Montec CS

2016 - Team 23 "Buck Brothers"
    2015 - Team 9 "Antler Outlaws"
    2014 - Team 11 "Compound Mafia"

Post Thanks / Like
    In 26 years of teaching I have never taught in a state where a government or civics class was not required for graduation. And as for ignorance, what percent of the president's supporters think he should be able to overrule the judicial branch? (I think the court is out of line in this case, and I really think the ban is stupid because it doesn't really do anything more to protect me than taking my shoes off at the airport.) I guess that if you pass with 60 percent you are going to be ignorant on the other 40 percent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Jedi View Post
    I'm not sure where Regan's quote came from but the accomplishment of "Founder of the KKK" is a bit disturbing considering the KKK were founded shortly after the Civil War.
    sarcasm. Progs think every sensible notion is racist. Even though Dems are the party of the KKK and for that matter; of slavery.

Post Thanks / Like
    In 26 years of teaching I have never taught in a state where a government or civics class was not required for graduation. And as for ignorance, what percent of the president's supporters think he should be able to overrule the judicial branch? (I think the court is out of line in this case, and I really think the ban is stupid because it doesn't really do anything more to protect me than taking my shoes off at the airport.) I guess that if you pass with 60 percent you are going to be ignorant on the other 40 percent.
    Since 9/11, 72 persons have entered into this country LEGALLY from the "banned" nations who have since been convicted as terrorists or on terror-related offenses. Those are just the convicted ones. The Minneapolis mall and Ohio State slashers were killed before they could do more damage.

Just because the "ban" doesn't stop them all from coming in doesn't mean it shouldn't be implemented.

As far as being able to "overrule" the judicial branch- we have co-equal branches of government...not a supreme branch of unelected dictators-for-life wearing black robes handing down unchallenged rulings from the bench. This judges' decision did not even reference the statute which is the basis for the ExO- just questioned the wisdom and necessity thereof. The pompous *** couldn't even bother to get his facts correct (dozens of terrorists from the banned countries not "none" as he claimed) much less realize he isn't even entitled (no security clearance) to the intelligence behind the rationale behind the ExO.

In this case, the President has every right to ignore the judges ruling. National security, and all. But I suspect out of deference he will only re-write it, more narrowly this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see that line in the constitution about ignoring what you don't like. Obama could have made the same claim when he was stopped from using prosecutorial discretion with illegal immigrants. There is a constitutional method for removing judges, and the reason they get lifetime appointments is so they can't be unduly influenced by political whims. This "so called judge" was not a bleeding heart liberal appointee. I can't say the same for the 9th circuit court, but we also need to follow our constitution, even when it means we are not going to get our own way. What really needs to happen is that we stop appointing judges based on our favored ideology, and start looking at their record of correctly interpreting the constitution. When we know the political leanings of a federal judge we are bound to his or her ideology, not loyalty to the constitution. I realize that this is a naive hope, because we all have our bias. When the president's spokesman says the authority of the president to protect us shall not be questioned, I will question more. Of the people, by the people, and held accountable by the people. If Trump would have handled this in a different way he probably would have already been moving forward. He is going to appoint the next justice on the scotus, but if he goes to the high court now it is going to end in a tie, and the ruling will stand. And for everyone complaining about the dissenters, this is what you sounded like for the last 8 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    The NDAA authorizes the indefinite detention of any foreigner suspected of being a terrorist, without trial. Nowhere in the NDAA does it state what that level of suspicion must rise to (i.e. reasonableness.)

Is it such a stretch to say that the prevention of entry into the country is in effect a type of detention?

That being said, in this case regarding the ExO in question; the law is crystal clear:

"Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate."

The law is codified and has no provision for judicial oversight on the merits or judgement of the president.
    Last edited by dnoodles; 02-14-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is all fine and good. I have no problem with a 90 day pause, or the authority of the president to do it. But like I said, the effectiveness of this ban that does not include nations that terrorists that came here from is limited. Since 9-11 how many shoes have actually had explosives in them? We face a greater danger from drunk pilots. Now if you want to inspect the shoes of someone from the UAE, or Saudi Arabia on that end go for it. I saw the report on the shoe bomber, and know that if he had been successful it would have broken the plane into two pieces. I still don't think taking my shoes off at the airport is going to stop someone determined to kill people.

Like I said, the president is eventually going to win this, but it would have happened much quicker if he would have shown some respect to a person who did not agree with him. If he really has it together, he and his team should have it figured out by the time his new appointee takes his role on the court. I suspect though, that he will just continue this pissing match and complain about how unfair it is when the opposition does to the republicans the same things that the republicans did to the last president.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3