Illinois gun owners

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cls74, Jan 2, 2013.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    URGENT: Illinois Senate Expected to Vote on Gun and Magazine Ban as Early as This Afternoon

If you own a semi-automatic firearm or detachable magazine, they may be banned and you could become a felon unless you act NOW
    As the Illinois Senate convenes this afternoon for its Lame Duck session, anti-gun legislators led by Senate President John Cullerton and backed by Governor Patrick Quinn (D) are deceptively trying to sneak through a sweeping draconian gun and magazine ban in Springfield. In their last days as lawmakers (some were defeated for reelection and others retiring), these legislators are attempting to quietly trample on the rights of all law-abiding gun owners in Illinois. The many restrictions contained in this legislation are subject to changes, however, this latest attack on your Second Amendment rights as currently drafted would turn law-abiding owners into felons for possession of nearly all common semi-automatic firearms or detachable magazines. Not only would such a ban include classic firearms like the 1911 and common handguns like Glocks, this ban would also outlaw common hunting guns like the Ruger 10/22 and Remington 740 series.

It is imperative that you contact your state Senator IMMEDIATELY to express your opposition and continue to do so every day this week. The Lame Duck session starts today and ends on January 9, so this bill will be moving at lightning speed in both the Senate and House, with very little time to spare. At this time, it is rumored that both the semi-auto and magazine ban bills will be sent to the Executive Committee this afternoon. Please contact those members (listed below) as well as your state Senator. Your telephone calls will determine the outcome of this assault on your Second Amendment rights.

Anti-gun politicians are attempting to sacrifice your constitutional rights as a scapegoat for the criminal acts of lunatics and violence in Chicago by gangs and drug dealers. Don't let them succeed in banning your firearms or magazines as an excuse for stopping criminals from misusing them. Criminals -- by definition -- violate laws, especially gun control laws, including often: murder, rape, robbery, drug-dealing, gang violence, firearm theft, carrying concealed firearms without a license/permit, federal gun-free school zones. They do not obey gun bans, register their firearms, or get subjected to any gun control schemes (like the lone state ban on carrying concealed firearms for self-defense) that only affect and penalize law-abiding citizens like you.

The NRA-ILA will continue to send legislative updates as details become available. However, it is of the utmost importance that you act NOW to stop this gun and magazine ban. Call your state Senator and members of the Executive Committee IMMEDIATELY and express your opposition to banning firearms or magazines.

To reach the main line for the Illinois General Assembly, please call 217-782-2000.

Contact information for your state legislators can be found by clicking here.

Senate Executive Committee:

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Actually jus saw this and was gonna post article off Illinois state rifle association. They're article says most semi auto rifles, handguns, and shotguns, including pump action, would be made illegal with no grandfather clause and shortly after this would pass you have to turn them into ISP. Hopefully this stuff gets shot down and hopefully all the people that say things about not caring if they ban ar15 because they have no use will realize most of these anti gunner do in fact want all or most of our firearms, even your hunting rifle.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hate this state, why is it always IL that does this. I am seriously contemplating defaulting on my mortgage to move the hell out of here. No whitetail deer is worth this garbage year in and year out. It's not just the guns either, the whole corrupt political north end of this state wants nothing but everything.

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scary stuff

5. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Ha yea it sucks that the big city that's all messed up can screw up the rest of the state. That's jus like the ccw, idk if it's like that now, but one of my aunts grew up in Chicago and said most of the officials against it have the right to carry because city and state officials can carry. Idk if this will go through or not it's most of the people that didn't get re-elected pushing it through as well as the governor, who didn't win any election. Crazy stuff I might be taking my buddy that lives in MO up on his offer to move there and work for him ha.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just today the State Journal Register had articles related to a couple homicides that happened here in Springfield. Think county wide it said we had 12, didn't say how many we're by gun, but also mentioned Chicago had recently surpassed the 500 mark for 2012. I wonder how many of them were committed by the law abiding gun owner vs the thugs on street who are owning them illegally.

If they ban any guns and make us forfeit, I hope the hell we can sue them for not disarming the thugs if we get shot. Give ILLEGAL aliens rights, yet take rights from the legal CITIZENS. Maybe they'll let illegals and felons have exemptions to gun bans as it would make them singled out and isolated as the now minority gun owner. I'm not using minority in a racial context, only in the numbers.

Sadly I will be an illegal gun holder should this happen, maybe I will have more rights then

7. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Ha ha yea idk our system in this state is pretty messed up. I too will be one of the illegal gun owners. The thing that gets me is ok our state is jus about as broke as any other state, I mean look at how many prisons or state parks our idiot governor has shut down and it this happens jus looking at a hunting perspective that's gotta be a huge blow to economy of state.

8. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if this constitutes a "sky is falling" scenario that so many people on here argue isn't gonna happen? They jus wanna take away the scary "assault weapons" that do nothing but kill people. Well I'd say this show a pretty different agenda, and seeing as this is were Obama started it'll be his model to go by. Idk if it'll pass or not but it says a lot to what these anti-gun people actually want.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was just talking to buckeye about ar's, the way I described IL is everyone is looking up for the falling sky and they dig a hole from under your feet. Every time this happens though its always IL. I hope it's shot down, pun intended.

Got me a little amped up

10. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea idk what's gonna happen I'd like to then it'll get shot down like every other time, but people that don't live here don't understand it happens, not to this extent, but happens every 6 months. Yea we got a big win with the ccw but all it takes is them to get those types of people out of office, which as corrupt as Illinois gov is ain't hard. The rest of the country mite end up all right but we as Illinois residents are constantly fighting things like this.

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We've got it on all sides, IL fights harder than the Federal level does for gun bans, add in the fact we have a Chicago president who's chief of staff felt it was a far more rewarding job to become mayor of a corrupt Chicago. Many are blind in this nation, but Illinoisans are always "under the gun for ridding of the gun". Chicago controls IL, these next 4 years the nation just may meet Chicago as we have.

Ugh, hard to keep politics out of a political thread :lol:

12. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tried listening to the IL Senate live audio feed to see what all they're trying to push through but it's not working. Too many folks trying to listen I guess.

Last I heard they'll try for a sweeping 'assault weapons' ban and a separate magazine ban. Keep calling!

13. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Ha ha yea idk, my biggest question is why jump on everything else? And I've said that many times, where does it stop? They say well an AR is a semi auto with high mag capacity that is like nothing else. A semi auto is gonna shoot jus as fast as you can pull the trigger, an AR is not different then a .22 and actually not much difference in bullet size. Jus ones got more "punch" as in muzzle velocity. But the fact that people think its so hard to carry alot of ammo or put a lot of rounds down range jus because the mag size is stupid. I could teach my friends 6 year old to reload a magazine. Everyone complained because it looks like military weapons, all civilian firearms are based off military, because military gets a lot more of the new technologies and upgrades. I can strip down my 870 and add things to it to make it look more "tactical" does that change anything about operation, no. And yea it's not leagal to have anymore then 3 shells in it but is it made to hold more by taking out plug? Yes, but that doesn't automatically make it more dangerous because it's now high capacity for that firearm.

The thing that ticks me off is all these people making decisions based on things they no nothing about. I've said on here many times I'm a former Marine, does that make me any more trained then anyone else? Does that mean I know more, no not hardly but there's ppl that no absolutely nothing and dont want to but a little education goes along way. Is also ticks me off when everyone anti-gun calls everyone that is pro-gun "gun nuts" like we are all running around hoping to get robbed or whatever so we can shoot someone. Really?

14. Christine

Dislikes Received:
  15. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This stuff is spiraling out of control!

16. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I won't be retiring to the farm in a few years. Anybody interested in 85 acres in IL?

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All this legal jargon and mumbo jumbo is confusing, is it saying anything purchased before 1/1/14 is not included in such ban? I'm really racing to buy one before everything goes to hell and prices go up even fursther, but not sure if it is safe to do so?

Anyone interpret it?

19. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    It's not law yet. On the upside, when Quinn tried to push through an assault weapons ban just recently, it was voted down by about 75%.

This time they say it stands a 50/50 chance.

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Think it's safe to click buy now?