Cell phone plans / providers

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Jul 17, 2016.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have Verizon, been with them for years. Two phones, we share 10 gigs of data. Was talking with the wife, she tells me our cell phone bill is $180 a month. Sounds crazy to me? There has to be something else out there?

2. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using Verizon for the past 7 years. They provide superior coverage and I also get a decent discount through my employer.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been with AT&T for years. Was with Cingular first and they were fantastic but sold out to AT&T. When I upgraded, if I bought my phone outright...the plan I have was $45/month + a monthly payment toward the price of the phone. Of course I bought the most expensive option because it was a contractors phone water proof and tough glass face. With the phone the monthly cost is about $80 with data but I don't recall how much exactly. Minutes and data roll over but I think that's a bit of a sham.

Overall I'm not to dissatisfied with it.

I bought mom and dad one of the Walmart plans and phones, it's not too different from the AT&T plan price wise and you buy the phone outright. They didn't like AT&T so wanted to do something different. I checked Verizon and they were stupid high priced but I was told they had the strongest network and our area has a bad reputation for poor signal so I was interested...just not at their prices.

4. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We do prepaid.. buy phone outright and its $45 a month. We are both with Verizon now and I think its 2 or 3 gb of data. I had At&t prepaid and its like Covey said they have roll over but I never kept track of it so who knows.. We have had Straight talk too.. all 3 are about the same. You can find phones refurbished and or just not the latest and greatest for around 300-400. Just got the wife a Galaxy S6 for 300 bucks factory refurbished and I cant tell it from a new one. I just got myself a Galaxy S5 because its water proof and my phone will be getting wet in a deer stand soon (die hard in the rain hunter) lol

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had Verizon for probably the past 12 years. I get a 10% discount through work and a $50 stipend on top of that. My wife and I share 6GB per month and our bill is $145. It's a bit more than I prefer but our heating and cooling is our highest expenditure so I overlook the cell phone bill.

6. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have ATT, no contract on a phone and my bill after taxes is $75/mo for 6 gigs of data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    AT&T. 3gigs. $45 a month. Galaxy S5 purchased outright.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    4 phones, 20gigs of data. No contact. 145 a month
    Cricket wireless

9. OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using Google Project Fi provider. Bought the Nexus 5X outright and its $20 for unlimited talk and text and $10 per gig a month. Since I only use about 1 gig anyway my bill is only $30 a month and whatever data goes unused for the month gets taken off next months bill. I've been as low as $19 for a months bill so far. It wont work for some people but it works out well for me.

10. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do a live chat with Verizon, they'll look for a cheaper option for you. They are superior in my part of NC, we have 4 smartphones 20 gigs of data for $205/month.

11. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have had AT&T for longer than I remember. Me and my wife have unlimited everything, my son has 3gb Data and my bill is $180 a month. I get 25% off my line thru employer program.

12. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been with Sprint for a long time. And don't plan on switching, grandfathered plan. Sure we are paying about $250 but it is for 4 lines sharing unlimited Data and Unlimited Texting. With two teenage daughters on the plan, couldn't get anything cheaper anywhere else.

13. vaborn7795

vaborn7795 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am with t-mobile $110 all in, 2 phones, unlimited everything. Coverage has gotten a lot better the past 2 years in our area.

If you can avoid dealing with the international customer support and only deal with US reps when you call, I really can't saying else bad.....but their non-US based customer support is Terrible!! :).

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been on straighttalk for a few years now. No complaint from me. I usually pay 6 months in advance for the cheaper rate amd kept my phone number. Unlimited everything, data throttled after 5gb, for less than $50 a month

They use at least AT&T towers and the same data speeds.

I haven't done a lot of traveling outside of IL, but have yet to run into no signal issues.

Beforw ai switched I was with AT&T for 10 years. Bill was around $95-$105 per month for the exact same thing I have now. Not sure why my bill fluctuated like it did, but it steadilt went up over the years until I had enough.

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    These prices I am seeing are nuts ...what the rational for paying them?

16. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been with Sprint since 2004. My bill a month is usually between $300.00 - $325.00. We have 4 phones & my daughters each have a tablet.

17. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on straight talk also. No complaints. Got an iPhone 5 off eBay (unlocked) for $120.00 and bought the bring your phone package to get a SIM card. $48 something a month for unlimited phone, text and data.

18. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had sprint Nextel got Verizon 7 years ago. Best coverage. No roaming. $120 2 phones, unlimited text and talk 2 gb

19. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have Verizon prepaid with 3 Gig of data for $45 per month and my wife uses Straight Talk for $45 as well. We had At&T when the Iphone first came out with Unlimited Data and when they changes,we changed. At&T's coverage sucks for anyone in a remote area or for someone that travels extensively for work like I do. So Verizon is the best choice for me.

20. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's easy to get suckered into the "easy device payment plan" pretty soon you look up and half your monthly bill is going to pay for phone(s). Some of which are lost/broken/stolen.

The carrier also has you securely under their thumb with the contract.