Can't get a group?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by howery98, Sep 14, 2016.

1. howery98

howery98 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So, I've been shooting my bow the past couple of days trying to get it sighted in. When I shot my field points I was able to get a pretty good group, but after putting on my broad heads and lining them up with my fletching, I can't seem to hit a decent group, and they're off. PLEASE HELP. Opening day starts tomorrow, and I'm not trying to miss it. Thanks!
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1473879271.689446.jpg
    This is my field point group, before my bow was sighted in.

2. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check the BH's themselves are they new or from last year? if they have been dinged up from an animal or miss they may not fly true.

3. Bradleyprejean87

Bradleyprejean87 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You do know that lining your broadhead up with your fletching does absolutely nothing for the flight if them right? And your bow is prob just a little off tune or the broadheads themselves aren't spinning perfect.. spin them on your finger while on the arrow and see if you feel any wobble at all... if your done then it's your bow that isn't tuned right.. a nontuned bow will shoot field points decent and group because of the fletching stablizing the arrow but the broadhead won't fly right...shoot your bow through paper with a field tip abut 2 feet away from you and see if your shooting a perfect bullet hole I'll bank money your prob not and it's gonna have a rip

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing like waiting until the last minute to shoot your broadheads LOL. You more than likely need to do some broadhead tuning if your arrows are spinning true. It's not hard and you will be grouping your broadhead tipped arrows in no time. There are some good videos on youtube, that will be easier than just reading an explanation.

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This!!!!!! ^^

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Broadheads grouping together but in a different spot than the field points = small adjustment to the rest and/or nocking point. If both points of impact move equally with adjustments then look at cam timing and arrow spine.

If the broadheads impact randomly then the first thing I would look at is to be sure they are spinning true and there is no fletching contact.

You can also try switching the broadheads around to different arrows.

Sometimes a few degrees turn of the nock will bring a broadhead into the group.

Sometimes a particular broadhead just won't tune from a bow and another brand or type will tune just fine.

7. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Close is prob ok, but farther back there all over the place, right? Try paper tuning this time. Prob rest needs to be moved left or right

8. SRSmith

SRSmith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I remember reading years ago that if your bow is properly tuned you can shoot a shovel from it. This has proven true for the past twenty years for me. I paper tune my bow to shoot bullet holes and make sure my broadband arrows spin perfectly true, absolutely no wobble. I've been able to shoot fixed blade broadband groups right along side of my field points. Wisconsin bow season opens Saturday, good luck and pick your spot. May your arrows fly true.

9. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You shoot shovels from your bow?

10. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I heard the KE is good enough to kill hippo

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Kills em then buries em.

12. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

13. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Happened to me my first yr hunting. Shot broadheads good the check before season and shot low. Racked my brain alday. A few trips to the archery shop that didnt help. Then i realized my whisker biscuit was wore down. Slapped a new one on problem solved. If you shoot a biscuit maybe you wore it down ,or wore felt of your dropaway.

14. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    French tune with the field tips and then adjust sight to where the BH's are hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some good info in this post.....read it a few times. If you don't know how to tune your bow, I totally agree that waiting until the day before season to shoot BH's is completely on you. I hear guys who play golf, are on softball leagues, have a fishing boat, etc claim they are too busy to shoot during the summer months. Then they dig out their bow shortly before season, wipe the dust off the case and fling a few to "sight in".....only to find that their bow isn't shooting well or their form has deteriorated during the long "off season". I hope you get it figured out and learn a lesson here for next year.

16. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gee , the fellow is looking for a little help instead of being reprimanded. I'd say this is his first encounter with broadheads.

If you are getting good broadhead flight you can simply sight those in. Also some bh's fly better than others, What are you using?

17. howery98

howery98 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I definitely waited last minute for the broad heads, thanks to everyone for the info! Learning new things all the time on here! Just graduated and really getting into bow hunting! Thanks again.

18. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Telling ya French tune that bow. I bet your rest is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Prove it. With the shovel that is

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am using a new head this year that does not have a practice head, I plan on spin testing my arrows with the heads on and thats it.