I'm thr world worst shed finder....

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by virginiashadow, Feb 27, 2016.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've already scouted 6 days this year. Probably 25 hrs or so of scouting. I have not seen one single shed. Hahaha. Not sure if it is me or if I don't hunt around a lot of bucks. I've walked fields...bedding areas. ZIP.

2. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Walk trails. That's where I've found most of mine. But more importantly never give up. I didn't find anything for a long time. Now I'm finally starting to find some. Found my first matched set a week and a half ago. You just can't give up. Sometimes it just isn't going to happen for ya. But such is life. Good luck and keep going

3. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't feel bad. I haven't found anything in 5 years.

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You need to either go shed hunting or go scouting Its hard to do both. Next time you go only focus on looking for sheds. Keep your eyes on the ground and not looking around for deer sign. That will help a lot. Walk on edges and when walking around fields, walk inside the woods about 10 to 20 yards were deer will stage up. Also look for the greenest food source in the area you are looking. It may be winter wheat field, someones green grass in there back yard, or even green briar patches. Deer seem to draw towards that this time of the year. I found my first 2 sheds this year on a local walking path that had fresh green grass. It was the best patch for a couple miles right in the middle of big timber public land.

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is what the park looks like. You never know where you will find them!

Attached Files:

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Holt. I hunt around very few fields and the fields are usually just grass. I will keep at it.

7. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and son went a few weeks ago when I could not. We dumped 1700 pounds of corn 3 weeks before. I told them to go work the field edge and in the woods between the 3 spots and you should fine some sheds pretty essy. They came with NONE!!! When I checked the SD cards they brought back at those spots there was over 10,000 pictures and not one buck had a single side left. I would have to say you are not the worst shed hunter ever :)

8. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thread: I'm thr world worst shed finder....

Your spelling isn't very good either ... :lol:

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I might challenge you for that title :tu:

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never fount one shed. I've found alot of skulls with nice racks but never any dropped sheds

11. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I should grab the dog and hit some woods. This big city stuff is getting on my nerves. Probably not going to find any sheds in parking lots...but you never know.

12. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cities are my best areas. Small woodlots in between apartment buildings or around churches hold some brutes.

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was up in the woods about 2 weeks ago and was walking in anywhere from 6-12 inches of snow. Great trails, no sheds. With the warm weather and rain creating a quick melt, it will be really sloppy so I will wait at least another full week before trying to hike around again. By then hopefully the land dries up a little.

14. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not alone, never found a shed before, and I probably won't find one for awhile. Shed Hunting + Michigan = Pointless

15. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious, why is it pointless? Too many shed hunters or something else?

16. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I shouldn't say pointless but, just too many people who disrespect private property borders around our area.

17. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I felt the same way as you for the past 2 years. I put in countless hours of walking around looking for sheds in all what would have seemed to be the go to places for sheds. This year my luck has turned around a bit, finally, because I was starting to get really discouraged. I had to trip over a antler before finding one.. Literally. One morning on my way home from work I saw a decent 8 point with one side missing in a small patch of woods right next to my bouse.. As soon as I got to the house I went to hunt down the shed, I searched and searched and searched, never found it.. When I had lost my patience and decided to call it good, I walked down the edge of the woods in a uncut field where the tall grass had been knocked down from all the deer traveling through there and I **** you not tripped over something.. Looked back and didn't see a thing, so I reached down in the tall grass grabbed what I had tripped on and up comes a antler in my hand.. It wasn't from the 8 point, but was a decent 3 point antler from last year. Have found 3 other sheds since.. The second shed I found driving to go shed hunting, I was driving to the neighboring property i hunt, looked out in a field and seen something white sticking up about 100/yards away.. I stopped the truck figuring might as well check it out thinking it was trash or something, but nope it was a fresh shed from either earlier that morning or the night before.. So you just never know how, where or when you're going to find them. Keep looking.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  18. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ive got about 30 miles in and have found three. just keep walking!!!!!!!!!!!! I put some info on the help thread in this shed hunting section that might help some of you guys. get in and around thick stuff.

19. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use to shed hunt this soccer field that was located just outside of a residential area. The entire park was bluegrass. It was easy just to roll up, pull out the binoculars, to see what was there. It didn't take but a couple of years to have everybody on that field. Never found any monster sheds but lots of basket racks. That area is swamped now so haven't found any there for several years.