Sub Clover

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Spear, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So my food plots are in the woods and don't get as much sunlight as a regular food plot. I've usually planted Evolved Habitat ShotPlot brassicas and then over seed with something cheaper like Spike Plot with ryegrass, clover, and chicory to fill in the bare spots. This year I'm thinking about expanding and I want to put in something that grows more lush and sustainable. I've done some research and I'm thinking about planting subterranean clover since it does well in shady areas. Does anyone grow this in their plots? Do you recommend any specific brand?

2. WLM

WLM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Creeping red fescue and Pardee birdsfoot trefoil will grow well in shaded areas.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never planted it before but if you do let us know how it goes. Heartland Wildlife Institute makes the Forested Trail Blend and that has sub-terranean clover in it. That is the only commercial blend I know off that has subterranean clover. good luck!!

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think I've ever seen Heartland Wildlife Institute's Forested Trail Blend but it seems like that would be easy to find. Thanks!

Pardee birdsfoot trefoil is interesting, I know nothing about it. I will have to research it but thanks for mentioning it, it's always worth looking into other options.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is a fine line, my food plots are semi shaded too I could trim it back but I fear there would be less deer traffic because it would be more exposed.

6. WLM

WLM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cutting the trees and shrubs to get the necessary light and then edge feathering your food plot by hinge cutting around it leaving access trails where you want them for the deer to enter and exit works very well.. They feel secure in the plot because of the hinge cutting around it and you create a man made funnel where you choose to leave the openings for them to enter.

7. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wish this was posted a day earlier haha I have also been wondering the same thing but never started a thread. I went with the Whitetail Institute Clover in a pretty shady area back in the woods

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, sorry Phil. I guess I'm a day late :( . I knew clover grew better in shaded areas compared to other plots so you'll be fine with just about any type of clover, I was just looking for a specific type of clover that does exceedingly well since I'm working with 0.25 - 0.5 acres combined from 2 "micro" honey hole plots. Unfortunately there's not a lot of trees in the two specific areas and the surrounding trees are very tall so hinge-cutting isn't an option in this area. This is an old wooded lot and most of the trees are probably 75-100 feet tall. One area just doesn't have trees so it's open and perfect for a honey hole and the other spot looks like an old 4-wheeler/trail/lane which gets better sunlight of the two spots. I've had success with just about everything I've planted there so I'm planning on doing extra raking and turning the soil to make the best of it.

9. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Exactly what I did with one of mine. It's tough to see in this picture but I cut down 7 trees and lined the branches all around the plot. There are two entrances into the plot only, both making playing the predominant wind very easy.

Picture is of Antler King Mini Max. This picture doesn't show shade (cloudy) but none of this plot gets more than maybe a couple hours at best of direct sunlight.

[​IMG]

10. WLM

WLM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Adding a water source to your plots will also increase deer activity. I use cheap wal-mart swimming pools. Works wonders! Also adding a communication post will increase activity. 0371a4868b51e84e9191aa2cbd1b6dfe.jpg 3d79dcd8342f8fdebdcd81150dc98f90.jpg

11. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been looking into killer food plots and they offer a deep wood blend. The only thing is that its more for the late season. Maybe you could use this to fill in if your clover didn't do well in early season? I've not used any of it yet so I cant speak on how it performs but I'm going to be using it this season.
    They also have a product called border patrol that seems really interesting. I'm definitely going to be using it too.
    Ill post pictures once it gets growing.