Breaking new ground

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by fishsoft92, Feb 24, 2015.

1. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everything I read says that you need to disk the soil after getting rid of the existing brush. We don't have access to a disk but we do have a large garden tractor with a pto rototiller on the back of it. Would this be able to fill the same need, or should we see if we can find a disk? Thanks in advance, mike.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You'll hear all kinds of things...but know if you desire to work the soil, a garden tiller works even. <-Sadly been doing this for years on our micro plots.

Keep in mind too, many have success with no-till style planting as well...and no I'm not talking the cheap butt rye grass mixes which appear to actually produce. Some of the guys here are big advocates of no-till style plantings, no matter what is being planted.

3. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hand rake all my plots, never disc them. The issue I have is that the ground is slightly sloped, and disking the soil can cause erosion and I can lose a lot of that good top soil. So after I go in with my round up, I just rake the whole damn plot by hand, and then broadcast the seed, and then drag a chain over it. That's it.

No tilling, just raking (2 years of doing this and I've always had success, so long as my soil is good), and the biomatter left from last years crop can really help the soil.

I also use to have an 1 acre garden in northern Indiana, and I did the exact same thing up there. Never tilled.

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I tried doing it all by hand last year and it was a pain in the ***. I also only have access to a garden tractor so this year I am going to give the Brinly-Hardy Disc Harrow a try. Found a great deal on it at Northern Tool for $159 +$35 shipping. Hopefully this will make things much easier! Anxious for the snow to melt now so I can get started!

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Do everything in mine by hand too. Hard work but nice payoff at end.

6. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    I might try one of the no till mixes this year and see what happens. If it seems to be getting used a lot, then I'll put more time that I don't have into it, lol. I know to set up on the downwind side of thing, but the stand I already have where I want the plot is facing the other way. Would it be a better idea to change it around while I'm working the ground so as not to be in there more often than I have to, or do that at another time after I know how well the plot will work? Thanks for all the help so far, as well. I'm new to the deer managing concept/process.

7. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The wife and I last year spent all winter clearing a (i'd guess) 1/10th acre kill plot off by hand of the thickest nastiest brier and vine patch that you can dream up. Then used a box blade to break the ground up for the first year planting to destroy all existing brier and vine roots.

From this year on, we'll be racking the plot by hand and planting. Just finished frost seeding clover too.We first racked the leaves out and then frost seeded.

Trust me, if you want a plot bad enough, no lack of machinery will stop you. All winter long all I could think of was how blessed we are now days to have this equipment. Can't even fathom how the Indians and first settlers farmed and broke new ground!

8. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    First thing that needs to happen is for old man winter to actually leave! Can't do much of anything until the ground thaws out enough to work. Might be able to do some tree clearing, but that's about it.

9. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like next week is going to be the start of a real warmup! Can't wait with 40's all week and almost hitting 50 one day looks like we will be off to a good start!

10. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    Just found some no plow seed mix in the garage. I'll see how that works out and do a better job at it next year if it goes halfway decent. At least this way I'm not out anything.

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fishsoft92,
    What are you planting and how big of an area. The rototiller should be able to break the ground up enough for most plots. I have used a hand tiller on many occasions and planted everything from clover to corn. Comparing the seed size that is. The issue I ran into in the past is that if the area has lots of roots then the first run will be full of stopping to clear the roots and debris from the tiller. The good news is it gets easier with each year.

The down side is generally this means smaller plots of say less than 1/4 acre. You can put beans in but done make that your primary in a plot that small unless you have a plot saver or something because the deer will mow them to the dirt in a plot that small. Stuff like clover will do good. Also if you have not already do a soil test. No matter how small the plot you need to know the ph if you want to get maximum output. If you use home kits fro ph be sure to use distilled water. Good luck and send up some pictures. :tu:

12. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    About the most I would be able to put in where I want it is 1/2 an acre. More realistically is <1/4 acre. Not really sure about what I want to plant in the future, but for right now I'm going to do one of those "throw and grow" concoctions. How accurate are those at home soil test kits? I will get pictures up as soon as I have a chance to get out there.