First year plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by QuackShot, Jan 25, 2015.

1. QuackShot

QuackShot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will be planting a plot this coming summer and was looking for help on what seed to use. Info needed, time to spray, till, plant, soil test ph levels, and anything else you think is valid. I am very new to the food plot ideas, and this website. Here is a bit of info to help me choose please. The size will be about 1/2-1 acre in size. receives good/decent sun. I will be putting a plot screen in as well. The rest of the field will be an over grown hay that is 20 acres that deer use until it goes dormant. I have access to a small tractor and will be spraying then tilling the ground before planting. Soil tests will be taken as well. I live in South Eastern WI. I am looking for something that will produce early, mid, and late season. I have heard some turnips will take up to 3 years before deer will start eating them.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe a Clover and Oat mix. I plant it here in Alabama and the deer are just hammering it. I always plant the clover in the spring, spray it once a month and then broadcast the Oat seed into it in Early Fall.

3. QuackShot

QuackShot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My problem with clover is how will it do once I get snow on the ground? And what do I spray while clover is growing that won't kill it? Also I've heard about mowing clover...