Frost seed clover in NC

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by copperhead, Jan 10, 2015.

1. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone had any luck frost seeding clover in North Carolina? If so when is ideal time to do so. From what I understand the last full moon in February is the ideal time. Interesting in any feedback anyone is willing to share. Thanks.

I am going to try and frost seed some clover in a field edge and see how it produces this year. Wish me luck!! :tu:

2. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good question Craig, I'm doing the same thing at our farm this year, also not exactly sure when to start. Hopefully someone will chime in to help out.

3. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can frost seed any time the ground is frozen....I know of a farmer in the mountains that Frost seeds his pastures and hayfields with snow on the ground.....that probably won't happen if you are out east....but if the ground is frozen you can do it now. Just get it done before the ground starts to thaw....in some areas of nc late feb may be too late.

4. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Boonerville,
    Thanks I was just worried about doing it too soon. But I guess if it is freezing and thawing and that don't hurt the seed it should be ok.

5. copperhead

Dislikes Received:

Chris,
    I have permission from the land owner to plant food plots but I don't want to tear up his fields either so I though the least intrusive way would be to frost seed. I want deer to prefer eating in a specific spot, so I plan on mowing a 1/4 acres size very very low. Put out a 2 bags of pelletized lime and a little fertilizer them broadcast the seed. I plan on videoing it all to track progress. I'll keep you posted on how it does.

With boonervilles post I might just do it this month as it has been cold. Just need to make sure the seed is hidden so birds don't swallow it up. Will probably get a coated seed to prevent that, well lessen.

6. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    You will be fine....the freezing and thawing is what you want...it pulls the seed just under the surface. it will stay dormant until soil temperature is warm enough to germinate. I also agree with using a coated seed....not so much to deter birds as the amount they would eat would be minimal...but a good seed coating has added nutrients to help boost the seedling when it sprouts and will help retain water. Personally I'm a huge imperial whitetail clover fan. I've had tremendous luck using it.

7. copperhead

Dislikes Received:

boonerville thanks very much for the reply.

8. ThwapVA

ThwapVA Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you put a coated seed down and it rains, freezes, thaws, rains, freezes, etc. before it germinates, will the coating be rinsed away before it can be used? Will this be a problem for pre inoculated seeds?

9. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Not with the ones I have used...I frost seeded some imperial whitetail clover last winter and it was the best looking plot I have this fall. The coating will absorb moisture and swell up around the seed...buti don't think it will wash off unless you get repeated torrential downpours...but by then the seed will wash away too

10. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Craig, let me know when you end up frost seeding, I'm going to try in mid Feb. If you do it earlier, I would like to compare to see how both of ours took. Also, I spoke with Jake, I picked up some Antler King Honey Hole and Slam Dunk on clearance at TSC for $6.99 a bag. I'm going to try frost seeding some brassicas on the clover plot too for added variety.

11. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    If I may.....the brassicas are not likely to do well if frost seeded. Even if they do sprout, the deer will probably not eat them very much in the spring. Brassicas have a 60 day grow cycle, which would put them at maturity in early may. Due to the temps then, the plants will be quite bitter. Brassicas need cool weather, specifically a few frosts at night to turn the starch into sugar...that's when deer will pound them. Brassicas are really designed for a fall plot. August or September is usually the best time to plant those if you want the deer to eat them. Otherwise the clover should do fine. If you want to top dress it with something I would recommend alfalfa. Deer love the stuff and it is extremely hardy

12. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your insight, booner. So no go with the brassicas in the spring then. If I can get my hand on some alfalfa then I'll add that instead. No one really grows that down here, it's very odd.

13. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    That is exactly why the deer will tear it up....something new the deer haven't seen and most likely won't find anywhere else around

14. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect, thanks.

15. ThwapVA

ThwapVA Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It may take them a little while to realize it is good food though.

16. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    True....as with anything new. But once they get a taste for it...look out!
    I'll try to find a pic of deer in my alfalfa/clover mix plot

17. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    This is an NC mountain plot. Imperial alpha rack (clover alfalfa mix). I had just mowed it so it's not very leafy in this pic...but the deer hammered it every night anyway
    [​IMG]

18. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good looking plot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely and I second what boonerville said about brassica and alfalfa. I am planning on planting an alfalfa plot this year as well. I did two years ago and the landowners cows kept jumping the fence to eat it. He no longer has cows so it may be safe to try it again in Virginia. I'll definitely keep you posted on what I do.