Corn or Tall grass to seclude a foodplot?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by LilSiman/OH, Dec 24, 2014.

1. LilSiman/OH

LilSiman/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm helping one of the guys I hunt with plant his first real foodplot next year and he's asking me all sorts of questions I don't know the answers too. first off, the foodplot is gonna be in an unused corner of a field which is in between 1\2 and 3\4 of an acre. I've only seen map view of it so far. At the corner of the field and woodline to the north is all weeds which he says are about 5 feet tall. To the east is gonna be a huge bean field. (don't know the acreage, 20+) and the to the west and south is hardwoods.

i wanted to know what everyone recommends to seclude the food plot. I was thinking a 10 ft wide strip of corn along the east side. with a small path coming through to hopefully funnel the deer in. but I've sen people using some kind of tall grass that would do the same. Any suggestions?

2. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning on trying some corn or Egyptian wheat next year for same kind of use. I have no experience with it, seems like a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    EW gets taller than most corn varieties and is generally thicker but it can also tend to fall over. Corn is more marginal screen but generally stands better. I'd go 15' wide with EW or at least 6, 30" rows of corn. I believe EG tends to create better funnels as deer just filter through corn pretty much at will.

4. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would use a combination of Egyptian wheat and sorghum.

5. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would do Egyptian Wheat.

Easy to grow, grows fast, and my deer actually ate the heads on them too.

It will start to fall with the first snowfall though, and generous amounts of Nitrogen may be needed.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have planted Egyptian Wheat in the past like others said it can and does get blown over.

7. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Funny this thread was started because I was throwing around the idea of making a screen to one of my food plots. Egyptian Wheat is (to my knowledge) the way to go for me. Corn doesn't do so hot in my area, so it wouldn't go very tall. I'm hoping EW will be the trick.

If corn grows fast and great for your area, I might would try a couple rows of that. One, the deer will eat it and Two they'll bed in it if it's thing enough

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Use some silage variety corn. Grows up to 10' or more.

9. LilSiman/OH

LilSiman/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think we're gonna go with ew about 15' wide at the edge and fill the north corner with it and cut a path through it for the deer to hopefully use as a funnel. We can plant a couple rows of corn on the inside edge to just for the hell of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just be sure and give it lots of nitrogen and don't get it to thick. also it doesn't like wet feet, if the ground is really wet it will stunt it some. I would kill the area with glysophate around the second week of may, work it and plant around memorial day weekend. I like to put 100 pounds of Urea on it. 15 ft wide will be 1/10th of an acre for every 100 yards. So if you have to screen a crossed 200 yards you have 1/5th of an acre. I would say a bag of 19-19-19 and a bag of 43-0-0 per 1/4 acre will get you into the ball park for good height and stalks. My EW stands right through the snow, it will break over but that's at the 6 ft or so mark, while sourgham will go down in the snow. Ew gets a thicker stalk more like corn when its spaced well and has properly fertilizer. a few thoughts for yeah

11. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    Does EW have issues with army worms if you plant it more than 1 year?

Beefie

12. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had any problems with it.