Wet food plot options.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by LilSiman/OH, Dec 17, 2014.

1. LilSiman/OH

LilSiman/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I posted on here last summer about a very small area me and my hunting partner were trying to put a foodplot in. It was a terrible plot this year. The area itself has very wet conditions and sometimes has problems with standing water. It's surrounded by bedding areas and next year will have a huge corn field 50 yards to the south on top of the ridge. Every deer (very few) that walked through there didn't even stop and put there heads down. Atleast on camera anyways, which was there since we planted it.

Our options for next year are go at it again and spray the area, burn it this time instead of trying to till and just make a muddy mess like last year. If I did this I was wondering who's had luck in super wet areas? This is in ohio btw.

Or we can put our tripod feeder down thee with a mineral block and added molasses, crush juice.. And so on with that kind of stuff.

What I'm asking is, what would you plant in a super wet area that has pretty good sunlight exposure but where you cannot get a tractor or four wheeler in too till it. It would have to be done by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont have any experience plating in ground that wet, we have seasonal wet food plots but they usually dry up by the time we plant them or else they dont get planted. Does it ever get dry enough to use equipment there?

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Plant some willows around the edge, that will dry it up.

4. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The food plot that I did this year was in a very wet area. I planted a mix of pastorandrews seed and it came up very well. I planted it in a creek bottom so there is always water in it. This coming year I am going to put some form of drainage in. It will probably be 3" pipe just to get the water out of the middle of the plot. I have some better pictures that show just how much water was in the plot but here are some.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I had my small (.25 acre) plot filled up in spring. It held pretty good water every time that it rained. I planted Whitetail Institute Extreme and Winter Greens. Both held up surprisingly well. Not sure about deer usage but it popped up great and held up even up to now.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

6. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Step one....get lime down. Perpetually wet areas tend to have compacted soil and pH could also be an issue. I applied lime on my 2015 test plots last weekend, as lime takes up to 6 months to effectively work.

I am releasing for 2015 a mix called sweet retreat that is a shady and/or wet soil mix that contains shade and wet tolerant clovers as well as rape and some high sugar perennial ryegrass as well as a high sugar brassica that works for those situations as well.

7. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what do you plant in an area that is prone to flooding? thinking about setting up a feeder