First time plotter.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by MatthewsSolocam1, Nov 19, 2014.

1. MatthewsSolocam1

MatthewsSolocam1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, the past couple of years I have seen my numbers of buck go up alot. But alot of these buck are lacking in mass. I have gotten a piece of property where I can plant 2-3 1 acre food plots and I was wondering what I could plant to try to get some mass on these bucks racks. And what minerals I could put out also to help.

I am a southwestern Pa hunter if that helps at all. Any info or input is appreciated!

2. 87simpleman

87simpleman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be watching as well. Almost same problem going on here. I heard protein but that's way too much money.

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    most times, mass comes with age. i've been plotting/mineral licks for years and can say most bucks still are "thin" till they get age on them

4. MatthewsSolocam1

MatthewsSolocam1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any suggestions what to plant that will get the deer there either way? Looking for something low maintenance. Was thinking sugar beets, clover, and turnips.

5. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Clover is always a good choice, the deer love it and really all you have to do is shred it once and a while. Also look at Antler Dirt for minerals in the soil.

6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    between the 3, white clover would be my choice for sure.

7. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im guessing since you are looking into doing one acre plots you have access to some equipment? If they arent any crop fields around maybe look into doing a corn or soybean plot. Other than that clover would definitely give you some good results youd just need to mow it down to about 6 inches once or twice a year. Brassicas are another great option for late fall and winter. best of luck

8. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've grown a little of clover, turnips, radishes and other rapes. I have to say, so far, for tonnage per acre I really like a mix of clover and brassicas (turnips/radish/rape). For your land, I would also look into soybeans (if they're not already grown on your land). Deer are very familiar with them and love them. Plus it makes good winter food as well when they come back to eat the pods.

Good luck friend!

9. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been a deer nutritionist for over 20 years and also have been doing qdma for over 25 years. I am blessed with 150-210 class bucks every year on the property but it didn't happen over night.

One, you need to have genetics.
    Two, nutrition starts with the soil. No matter what one plants, you will have more quality feed, that contains higher protein, energy and minerals if you have healthy soil.
    Three, you need to look at it as a 365 day a year project.

Starting with minerals. Salt regulates intake. Too many commercial minerals are too high in salt and are more attractants than solid mineral programs. Too much salt restricts consumption. Myself, i have had up to 1400 lbs a year of minerals consummed. Don't plan on putting out a bag or two and think your going to make a difference. I sell minerals that are "purified of antagonists". I want a higher bioavailable mineral than typically sold out there. I also want a solid zinc, copper and selenium level. Those are required in higher amounts in deer than "livestock". I recommend 1-2 mineral sites per 40 acres and ideally close to water if possible.

I then recommend planting elite nutrition varieties of food plot products. Protein, calcium, phosphorus and energy grows antler but also consider amino acid profiles, as most don't, when they plant food plots. If you can get high nutrition in front of the deer early as antler growth is earlier than when most people have food plots growing to feed the deer. Plot rotation and even multi cropping helps grow big bucks.

In the areas where all my test plots and mineral and attractant research is done, we typically shoot 20" bigger racks than people in the county, away from the neighborhood. I believe that 10-20" of growth over the normal for any age level, for the area is possible. Don't expect to add 30-50" of added growth on wild free ranging deer.