Question about Buck Buster Extreme

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Diabolikal, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Diabolikal

Diabolikal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking into changing up my food plot next year and adding buck buster extreme. I just wanted to know if anyone had planted this in a sort of shady area and had any luck with it growing properly. The area I plant is usually shady and I have had issues in the past.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing thrives in shady conditions. Some things will germinate better and live but not thrive in shady conditions. Personally have never planted Buck Buster Extreme...but judging by it's seed mixture:

Buck Buster Extreme is a blend of winter oats, winter rye and forage soybeans and three brassicas: a hybrid turnip, forage rape and purple top turnips.

The brassicas I can attest will struggle if not enough sun...given sun PTTs and the others will get HUGE with proper fertilizing and plant spacing. Oats and the rye will germinate and do the best out of all those seeds in shady spots....your beans will be in the same boat as the brassicas, probably not that great.

3. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is a small list of plant that tolerate lower levels of shade, hence photosynthesis. So, i am testing a shady mix for next year that will contain a couple clovers that will tolerate lower pH's, rape, a high sugar perennial ryegrass and triticale. Triticale tends to tolerate shade better than most grains.

4. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^ sounds alot like antler kings "mini max" mix minus the triticale. :wave:
    19.70% yuchi arrowleaf clover
    13.16% crimson clover
    12.94% antler king brand alsike clover
    9.79% boost perennial ryegrass
    6.58% athena rapeseed
    3.27% crusade white clover
    and that awful 34% seed coating material everyone likes to complains about.

but i agree with nutrionist on his thoughts on that mix the original poster asked about. Never understood mixes that have a big soybean seed and little turnip seed in the same bag, but I thought that buckbuster mix had them in separate bags? Correct me if I am wrong.